Solvent to remove glue from PCB?

Hello,

I thought for sure I'd find the answer to this already posted here, but I didn't, so...

I'm working on a small PCB that has an 8-pin SMT IC on it. The manufacturer chose to glue a small piece of black thin cardboard on top of it, probably as a cheap insulator. I've gotten that cover off, but the IC and surrounding circuit board are still coated with the dried glue that was used on it (it's especially gooped around the IC's pins).

The glue is a yellowish-white and very, very tough. It seems very much like the glue I've often seen used to glue larger components (like big electrolytic cans) to PCBs to prevent them from moving.

Is there a well-known solvent for dissolving and removing this glue?

I've tried: - PCB cleaner (Electro-Wash) - Denatured Alcohol - Flux Remover

...none of these seemed to affect the dried glue at all.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr. Land

Have you tried a label remover? That solvent works with many glues.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heat. It could be a hot melt adhesive. Touch it briefly with soldering iron tip and see if it melts quickly.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

The PCB cleaner and denatured alcohol are exactly what the mass produced circuit board was cleaned with at the factory, of course; no surprise that the glue didn't come off with them. Flux Remover can be any number of things (Freon? Methylene chloride?) but you'd have to look at the label to tell.

I'd try paint thinner (or other naptha solvent), and acetone/ketone (like lacquer thinner), or even just a hotair blower and a brass-bristle brush. Those solvents are flammable, of course, so no sparky blower motors while they're in play!

Methylene chloride (old-fashioned paint remover) might still be worth a try, if you have proper ventilation. And then maybe toluene or heavy alcohol (like glycerine).

Reply to
whit3rd

All excellent suggestions - thank you very much folks.

Reply to
Mr. Land

iron

HI

AM RIYA , I JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT, WE ARE USEING RED GLUE FOR SMD COMPON ENT IN SECONDARY SIDE , THEN WE PRINT THE BOARD WITH MACHINE STENCIL APP LIED , AFTER THAT I WANT TO REMOVE THE GLUE FROM THAT PCB , WHAT SHOULD B E USED TO REMOVE THE GLUE. PLEASE TELL ME THE MATERIAL WHICH CAN BE USED F OR GLUE REMOVING

Reply to
riyasharma11091991