Austrian AKG microphone

Nasty cosmetic mark on the casing. Looks as though it had some sort of tape stuck to it and whatever normal cleaning chemical, does not shift the patches of discoloration of the anodised? silver-grey matt finish. I don't think the underlying metal is aluminium or brass, maybe stainless steel, certainly stained now. I tried light brushing with a bronze wire brush in a Dremmel on a small part and seems to have reduced the effect but still there, any ideas of cause , materials and any cure? While at it is B,M,S on the filter switch , German for Bass,Middle Treble, - Bass , Mitte,Sopran ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Is the Mic a D1000E?

--Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Many including me have 'non removable' self adhesive labels on their mics to help prevent theft. As well as engraving.

I'm sure there are options, but many of the older pro ones are brass. Satin chrome or whatever plated.

Not come across this - is there a model number anywhere? More common is a high pass filter - perhaps with two frequencies - and a switchable attenuator. But AKG make mics for all purposes.

--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Choice of engraving?

"This microphone has been stolen from DP, If you are not he please give it back?"

--
Adrian C
Reply to

;-)

Just my house number and postcode. And course I keep a note of the serial numbers.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

mics

Model D1200E Not a simple single patch of a "stolen from ..... " sticker, odd patches all around the body. Neatly corrugated edge pattern transferred from one of those tape dispenser blades is very clear in a couple of places. I suspect a

2-stage anodising/plating process. A slightly brassier shade of silver under the final process. The tape has neatly removed the top layer, probably. Not leaving an edge like flaked-off plating, but still a precise demarkation. I think my brushing has just blurred the otherwise very abrupt colour change between the silver and silver-bronze colour
Reply to
N_Cook

A nice mike in its day, sweet sounding tho easily overloaded and the sintered grill was fragile. The capsules didn't take kindly to being dropped. I believe that at one time you could buy replacement diaphragms for them tho how you fitted it I can`t imagine.

From memory, the switch is a simple rolloff filter, The standard AKG rolloff filter freqs seemed to be c 75hz and 150hz I`ve no idea what the letters stand for, maybe Austrian for Bassy,Middly,Sibilanty ;)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

all

suspect a

under

Not

demarkation. I

change

It is easier getting inside than I thought. You leave the BMS "hearing aid"

3 way switch in place. There may be a " ' " between the B and M or a very neat scratch. About 45 SWG wire inside at the filter choke, easily broken.
Reply to
N_Cook

"Ukulele Ron"

re: AKG D1200E

** Must be some other mic - cos the D1200 has a steel mesh grille and is hard to overload.

** Bollocks.

** Uses a model D19 diaphragm - got a few in stock myself for use with D12s.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Think he's confusing it with the D190.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What sort of age is it? That pic is correct, mesh protected by the castellations, BMS switch well recessed inside that recess, finger nail action required. Body may be a form of gunmetal or bronze, not as yellow as standard brass and not as hard as St/St

Reply to
N_Cook

No the D190 has a slim parallel body and the 'grill' is a sintered metal conical shape.

Phil is correct, my mistake, the grill is a mesh surrounded by a metal castellated part. I often had mikes back from hire with the 'battlements' bent right in or snapped off

They were one of the few mikes of choice back in the early 70`s before the SM58 really caught on in the UK.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Indeed - I have a few.

It was the sintered grill that made me think of the D190 - plus the fact it doesn't like being dropped.

Not with me. Hate '58s too. The most over-rated mic ever.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely, but you try telling the yoof of today that!

Reply to
Ron

"Ron"

** The D1000 is similar to the D1200 but with the sintered bronze top.

The body is made from diecast zinc with a nickel plating and sand blast finish.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ah yes, that's where my confusion arose, I used to have both.

Ron

Reply to
Ron