toroid casing

I remember (am I daydreaming?) seeing plastic casing on toroidal core (looks like two O-shaped caps). Can anybody suggest vendor? Do they sell these things? I need to have 10kV-rated insulation between core and winding. Any hint will be appreciated. Thanks Michael

Reply to
Michael

Robison Plastics?

John

They are called "core caps". I have only seen them for really fat cores but you could call an engineer at your vendor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Frerroxcube distributes nylon 'caps' for sizes of high-permeability-material toroids for the construction of CM chokes and coupling/measurement applications. Creepage to core is achieved with n-layer tape on the seam.

Panasonic, Tokin and a number of other SEAsian mfrs market encased cores for the same applications.

A 10kv 'book' rating is not likely achievable using commercially distributed materials, though demonstrated performance is possible.

Big question is why the big isolation requirement to the core on a toroid? As normally constructed, core insulation shows up twice between any two points of stress ( ~ single-fault immunity).

The bigger problem on toroids is winding-to-winding, where insulation layers may have to function in one layer.

A 10Kv isolation requirement is no joke for any small transformer structure, never mind toroids, where even simple layer insilation is a complicated matter.

RL

Reply to
legg

Even for a 5kV "book rating" I had to go to the pros. Aircraft suppliers in my case. Anything less won't do if you need cert. And be prepared for huge MOQ and/or big bucks.

[...]