Anti-static tape, from where??

No problem there Smitty. I have 3 ipod mini's I intend on modifying. I figure on needing to take them apart and put them back together several times. The lcd in these things tend to flop around a bit much for my tastes, same goes for the battery and microdrives. When I finally close them up I want to do a good enough job that I wont have to worry about anything banging around and breaking other stuff. I have already had to replace a surface mount cap from the previous owner(s?), let alone finding bits of glass and magnets

Reply to
Thor

I'm not sure I follow...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Me either. High static is generated by the adhesive when some types of tape is peeled off the roll. This leaves a static charge on the roll, but it doesn't make the adhesive an better.

Some very sensitive lab equipment can be damaged simply by ripping a foot or more of tape off a roll of common clear plastic packing tape. Meters with several thousand Meg ohm input impedance is one item.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gaffer's tape would probably work well in this application (and I've used it in similar situations for years).

Basically, it's ductape's "daddy". It was originally (and still) used on movie sets to block light leaks, hide cables, etc. It's black( and other colors now) and has a different adhesive that doesn't bleed as much as ductape, as well as it seems to be more aggressive).

We use it at wurk to locate coax cable on roofs and pillars of cars and trucks when installing 2way gear, but there's a lot of it holding loose can shields, LCD ribbons, etc.

You'll usually find it at theater supply houses and shops that supply the broadcast industry.

If you can't find it locally,

(
)

It's pricey at $17 for a roll of 2", but a roll would last you for years. Shelf life is good, I have a roll in my shop truck that's over 5 years old and it's been baked pretty good from sun heat on the van. Still good!

Reply to
nobody >

As a former TV broadcast engineer I am familiar with Gaffer's tape. The rolls I've used prduced a small static charge, which could damage the circuit. The proper tape has a high, but controlled resistance.