ground wire extension (anti-static ground)

If I want to make an extension for my ground wire (which I use with for anti-static grounding purposes) what type of wire do I need to use? I don't know what the gauge or type of wire that is used in the ground wire (no markings on wire) but it is the standard ground wire that comes with an anti-static mat with snap-on connector.

Reply to
toronado455

Use any wire you have. The smallest guage you have will be big enough electrically. An anit-static strap or mat will have a very large value resistor (around 1 meg) between the strap and the end of the wire. You probably should use insulated wire just in case it comes into contact with a live circuit.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I always used 16 AWG, to reduce the risk of it breaking and losing the antistatic protection. I used to test and repair the wiring on about 100 benches, and about 145 mats every three months.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's why I use bare solid copper wire. It will definitely not break without someone noticing (the wire is located so that nothing should come into contact with it).

Reply to
Jussi Peltola

We ran 8 AWG bare copper along a row of benches, but used insulated wire soldered to the ground buss so there was no chance of it shorting out other wiring. Some benches had over 40 pieces of test equipment on them, and hundreds of cables run both over and under the bench.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell