anti-static foam?

Hi all

Where in Australia can I buy some simple antistatic foam to store ICs?

I would have thought something so simple would be cheap and plentiful.

Thanks

Reply to
Simon

Try skip raiding, there used to be a HD refurb co near where I live that dumped sheets of cardboard backed anti-static foam by the skip load. If you find a suitable factory the skip should contain plentiful anti-static bags and usually some foam as well.

Reply to
ian field

You don't want "anti-static" foam, you want "conductive foam".

Jaycar, Altronics, Farnell, and RS all have it, so what's the issue?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Pink" foam is useles for storing IC's. So are the pink "anti-static" and "static-dissipitive" bags.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Where did I mention ANYTHING pink?!

Reply to
ian field

Places like DSE and Jarcar may carry it

David

Sim> Hi all

Reply to
quietguy

Oops, sorry, I've had pink foam on the mind all day long... Right now I'm measuring the vibration transfer function of pink foam, exciting stuff...

My point is the same though. Any form of "Anti-static" foam is useless for storing IC's, you've got to use the conductive stuff.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

just wrap them in alfoil

Reply to
Mark Harriss

What actually damages the chips is the current spike as the electrostatic charge is suddenly discharged - which is what happens if they are put into contact with aluminium foil without any other precautions!

Foil protection is fine if the ESC is discharged before wrapping the pins, a handy trick is to breathe on the chip just as you would breathe on a pair of spectacles before polishing the lenses with a handkerchief - the moisture in the breath dissipates the charge safely.

Reply to
ian field

Good idea, here in 70% plus humidity country, the only time I can get a good static charge is by pulling sticky tape off the roll.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

here where it's often much lower humidity I was able to get a static discharge by handling a certain smartcard... (skin to plastic friction), the card in question was already dead, and now I think I know how!

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

This stuff is expensive in Australia at the usual haunts.

you could try:

but I have never priced it there.

or in the US:

at what appears to be good prices.

If you follow through, please let me know how you get on, as I may need some in future. Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

In case you still need the "foam" to hold your IC's, try Jaycar Electronics. Dick Smith might sell the stuff and also Altronics or one of it's re-sellers. Dick Smith Electronics also sell anti-static bags. I always keep the anti-static bags when I buy add-on cards, RAM etc for my PC. The bags are usually marked as such.

Good luck, Boozo.

Reply to
Boozo