Making anti-static carpet spray?

Is there an easy way I could make my own anti-static carpet spray? The commercial product is often hard to find. Of course, pure water works for a short time, enough to repair one computer. I've tried adding fabric softener but it's too strongly scented to use this way.

Reply to
mc

"mc" wrote in news:PLqeg.64437$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Buy UNscented fabric softener.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Reply to
Mike Berger

"mc" hath wroth:

See:

The fabric softener keeps the static away. The ammonia keeps visitors, managers, nosey customers, and relatives away. If you smell the fabric softener, you're using way too much.

However, there's a catch. Fabric softener may be toxic. See:

I'm not too sure if I totally believe all this.

Anyway, there are unscented and hopefully non-toxic vinegar based fabric softeners available:

However, I don't think these will work as an anti-static spray. One way to check is to try it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Do people agree, then, that fabric softener is the right stuff to use?

Reply to
mc

Really ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear
Reply to
Daniel A. Thomas

I used about a half teaspoon of fabric softener to one pint of water for years. If you use lukewarm water when you mix it, it will dilute better. Doesn't have to be warm to use though. This was in a number of large computer rooms including at a local college. Regards Lee in Toronto

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

Lee

You can get it any good industrial cleaning supply company. Regards Lee in Toronto

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

Lee

Thanks.

Downy "Free and Sensitive" fabric softener is odorless, but the bottle says, "Do not mix with water and store." Hmmm...

Reply to
mc

Yes. This is a town of 100,000, not a major city. The computer stores no longer have it. There is no electronics place except Radio Shack. There's a cleaning-supplies store I haven't checked that sells various kinds of carpet cleaning chemicals.

Reply to
mc

How long does it last? Does it do any good in dry weather (when it's needed most)?

If it will pick up any moisture from the air, it should stay conductive. Hmmm... Calcium chloride?

Reply to
mc

Google MSDSs; you'll find many are just surfactants. A bottle of the cheapest non-polyquat swimming pool algaecide would be an unscented lifetime supply (diluted with water).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Electrolube's data sheet gives no clue as to contents.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Don't they sell Static Guard clothes spray at your local grocery store?

Reply to
Brian
Reply to
Daniel A. Thomas

Glycerol is often used as a humectant. I don't know if that would help in your case.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Reply to
Mike Berger

Mike.... yes, and salt is a powerful corrosive and I'm surprised that someone hasn't jumped in and commented on the folly of spraying salty mist in a computer room full of electronics! Regards Lee in Toronto

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

Lee

Essentially any ionic surfactant should do the job. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise