Handheld Scope Oscilloscope Recommendations

Hi, I've been looking at some new low-cost handheld scopes, but would like to know of some models (under $1000US) that various users would recommend for various reasons, not just low cost.

I'm in the US, and I don't need a rugged model for everyday service/repair shop-type use. I already have bench-type scopes, but I'd like to have one that I can use at my desk for quick checks in small, and generally low-voltage devices.

I'd like to find one that is portable, battery operated, and one that every feature isn't microprocessor controlled (ones with real switches and fewer menus).

I'm familiar with the concept of "you only get what you pay for", and I may need to buy more than one to eventually attain the one that is most suitable to me.

Cheers, WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Well, you don't say anything about the number of channels you want or the frequency range...and.... "I'd like to find one that is portable, battery operated, and one that > every feature isn't microprocessor controlled (ones with real switches > and fewer menus)." This pretty much limits what you can get....why do you think the scopes are small, light weight, and high functionality?

I have used both the Fluke scopemeters (models from 1998-2002) and Tektronix TDS 1000/2000. The Teks have a few more knobs than the scopemeters. The thing I liked about the tek's was in triggering the trace. It felt easier and much like using benchtop scopes. It took me a while to get used to the Fluke scopemeter triggering, but once I learned how to get better stability in triggering using a different approach, I am fine using them. I personally own a Fluke scopemeter

190B and am quite happy with it. I suggest you look around for a good used one for more bang to your buck. If you really don't want a micro in your scope, Sony/Tektronix used to make a 10 and 20 MhZ battery model that was pretty basic, but thats about 15 yrs ago. I think you can get a battery pack for a 465B.....j/k Good luck John
Reply to
John Hudak

Yup. With the specs provided by the OP, this pretty well fits the bill:

Allodoxaphobia

Hi John, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.. your response is precisely the sort of info I was seeking, actual experience with specific brands/models.

I've looked at numerous big name-brand used models on eBay, and I may end up getting a Fluke or Tek if I have some confidence in the seller that the unit is in good working condition. It seems to me that buying one without a full compliment of accessories could be a bad idea.

A friend has a Tek 200 series miniscope, and while they're really cute, the display is really small, and I assume many/most of those would require repairs (many of them being over 20 years old).