Another TV repair or replace question

Hi,

My TV (Philips 32" widescreen crt, low end model) has been playing up recently and I'm wondering if it's worth a repair or time for a new one. It's only 6 years old, all problems have started in the last 6 months or so.

Until recently the only problem was the speakers which periodically stop working for a few hours at a time. I haven't bothered getting them looked at because I normally use home cinema speakers anyway.

More recently the remote control sensor has become a bit unreliable and doesn't always work. The remote control has also had a hard life so I usually use a programmable remote.

Earlier today I was watching and all of a sudden the menus started popping up and going through multiple language options etc at a very high speed. I switched the TV off, left it for a few hours and when I turned it on all I had was a blue screen. I left it another while and now the picture is back but the geometry is a mess. It's like watching a TV with a fisheye lens camera. As the tv warms up the picture improves but it's still very bad.

I have had a google and know I can probably get at the service menu to tweak the picture but with multiple things going wrong I think I would be better just taking it in for a repair. On the other hand I was going to change it this year for a flatscreen to save a bit of space so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

Before I go to the effort of arranging time off work and lugging it into town I was hoping someone here could tell me if it sounds it should be fixable at a sensible price?

Thanks, Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

In that case, get a new TV sooner than later.

It would not be a good decision to have it repaired where I live (Florida, USA). You did say it was a low end model and 6 years old ... just my opinion.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

No way to know the cost of repair without getting inside the set. Make sure if you take it into a Philips Authorized service that if you decline the estimate that they are willing to keep the set so you wont also have the cost of disposal of the hazardous waste.

Given the symptoms you currently described, it really sounds like the buttons have gotton liquid contamination inside the tv set. It is at least worth having checked out, even if you plan on keeping it as a second tv set in the other room.

Reply to
dkuhajda

this could be down to simply poor joints or, as another poster pointed out, liquid in the front panel. Hopefully a relatively basic fix. Has someone been cleaning the screen with window cleaner spray? In any case, the set is worth having looked at, Philips stuff, being an established brand, tends to have considerable tech support/ be easy to find parts and schematics for. Take it in, preferably where they open the set up before 'diagnosing' or estimating.

-B.