Repair/replace 7CT1N?

Mine quit - no vertical output.

Ideas? quotes? Etc?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Join the old Tekscopes group. It moved from Yahoo to GroupsIO. The people w ho repair old Tektronix gear are there. Unlike Usenet, they do not tolerate foul language and insults, so some of the people on this group would be ba nned in a hurry. Some members offer kits to make extenders for the 7000 ser ies of scopes.

has links to places where you can do wnload manuals.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

What do you use a curve tracer for?

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Testing transistors.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Do you use a curve tracer? I don't.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

They're pretty handy at times. You get results a lot faster than with a SMU, but the SMU gives you precise answers.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Same reason some folks still like tube amplifiers for their audio.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Data sheets generally have the curves for fets. Bipolars aren't very interesting to curve trace.

I sometimes do a point measurement for something not on a data sheet, like to measure actual capacitance or breakdown voltages, but a classic curve tracer might not do those. Like 1800 volts for a SiC fet, or 0.25 pF for a small diode.

I'd love to have a small USB box that characterized diodes and transistors, but it would need to do c-v curves and pulsed breakdown measurements. It would need to be cheap, for infrequent use.

My old Boonton 72 is great for c-v curves. I've been doing that lately for varicaps. The Skyworks varicaps have 15v breakdown spec, actually zener at 24 to 47, but the data sheets only have c-v data out to 8 volts. I don't need a curve tracer to measure a diode's forward or breakdown voltages. A scope curve tracer isn't very quantitative anyhow.

My old Keithley electrometer is good for pA leakage testing.

Curve tracers were popular for a while when transistors were new, but I think people lost interest.

We have a few Keysight SMUs. Is there a curve tracer PC program for those? I could have one of the kids do one in Python.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

And an HP 4145B gives you the best of both, with four SMUs. (Assuming you can keep the floppy drive working.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Took a quick look at that Tekscopes group. WOW! These guys are sharp and to the point!

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Part matching, spec conformance/non-conformance, check off-datasheet specs, etc

Reply to
Robert Baer

Southern Methodist University? Spencer Municipal Utilities? Saint Mary's University of Minnesota? a web based application? Sacramento Municipal Utility District? AHA! What is an SMU (Source Measure Unit)?

Sometimes one needs more than hip-deep boots for wading...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes. Pronounced smooo, rimes with cow noise.

 Click to see the full signature

Matching soulds iffy, on an analog oscilloscope curve tracer. Better to design so that any data-sheet-conforming parts work.

 Click to see the full signature

le who repair old Tektronix gear are there. Unlike Usenet, they do not tole rate foul language and insults, so some of the people on this group would b e banned in a hurry. Some members offer kits to make extenders for the 7000 series of scopes.

n download manuals.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

On some of my designs, the part datasheet has no spec or a non-meaningful value. For example, there is no bipolar transistor datasheet spec for the E-B junction zener voltage; "5V max" if at all. I dare you to find a bipolar with a 6.2V zener breakdown by using the datasheet. Or 9.5V zener breakdown. Tempco of that Vz? So you gotta measure and best with curve tracer so you know how sharp, if avalanches, etc. And one can easily match within 10mV.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:Sz1sG.273918$ snipped-for-privacy@fx45.iad:

Matching and culling transistor pairs (using a curve tracer) has been around since before stereo amplifiers.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Can you read Vz and the tempco of Vz, to millivolts, off the screen of an analog scope? I can do that easily on a DVM. I think the diode range of my Fluke is 1 mA up to 10 volts.

If you use a be junction as a zener, you should be careful that it's repeatable.

Some transistors are accidentally 6.2v "reference zeners" from collector to emitter with the base open. But's that's probably not suited to production.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

who repair old Tektronix gear are there. Unlike Usenet, they do not tolera te foul language and insults, so some of the people on this group would be banned in a hurry. Some members offer kits to make extenders for the 7000 s eries of scopes.

download manuals.

Ditto - been hanging out in that group for years. Lots of SME's with real w orld experience. Interesting to hear stories from the ppl that did the des ign/fab/testing in the tek labs. If you wanna know about common failure modes of tek scopes, where to find r eplacement parts, etc. that is the place to hang J

Reply to
jjhudak4