Obscure TV & VTR repair question

Hi, I picked up an old Teledyne/Packard Bell TV console with a integrated Cartrivision video tape recorder. For those who are not familiar with this, the Cartrivision was the first mass produced cartridge based video tape recorder for home use. This was on the market in 1972 or so.

I got the thing for free but I had to drive a ways and it was very heavy lifting into my home. They sure don't build them like they used to. Anyway, it took a couple hours of warming up and pushing the on/ off the power button to get any life to the thing. The sound was fine but the picture left a lot to be desired. I assume the picture tube is bad because there is just a steady white horizontal line in the center of the picture, along with some rolling lines.

The VTR section did not work either. I figured out why as I looked in the back this morning. The power to the tape section had been disconnected and the 7 audio/video wires that were supposed to connect to the interface on the TV chassis were cut and tucked behind the signal processor on the VTR side. I initially thought that the tape recorder just stopped working and they wish to isolate the TV. BUT, I noticed when looking at the front controls that the chassis is a "Quasar II".

The chassis does not fit totally into the space in the console as there is maybe a good 1/4 inch gap on each side or so. So, I am not sure if someone has modified this TV or if Teledyne would actually use a Quasar chassis. Anyone know if this could possibly be the case? Could a Teledyne picture tube work with a Quasar chassis? They both have 2 tubes, 2 in the chassis and 2 at the base of the picture tube. Because without the proper chassis and interface this is just a heavy paperweight, though the Cartrivision components have some value.

thanks, CTV

Reply to
Cartrivision1

thank god

nothing to do with a tube fault.

God help you getting that fixed, esp if you cant handle a simple tv fault.

what do you mean by '2 tubes'?

If you do what you can and still cant get any of it working, maybe another enthusiast could get it up and running again. Not sure what the attraction would be with cartrivision though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Perhaps collectable value. :)

If there is light and lines on the screen, you're close. That means the high voltage power supply and deflection is working. As noted, not the picture tube. Possibly tuner or other signal related problem. Bad connections, bad electrolytic capacitors, a missing power supply voltage. The fault may have been present before it was "retired". You'll need a schematic and some troubleshooting skills to get it going but the TV can probably be made to work but don't expect the performance of modern TV.

As far as the video section, that's probably more of a challenge but might be possible.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I guess line output and EHT diode valves.

always nice to see a daft answer

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He did say something about "rolling lines" so I sort of assume there is some vertical. But, perhaps that was wishful thinking.

If it does use a vertical output tube (gasp!), then he just jumps into his time machine and dials in the 1970s when every corner drug store had a tube tester and a stock of new tubes. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Or he asks on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono where they whine that no one wants old TV tubes.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why daft? People were collecting them six months after production stooped.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Because stating the bleeding obvious is not especially constructive. The question is/was why do some think them worth collecting. To merely state that they do is empty headed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Empty headed? Plonk.