Aiwa AD6500 cassette deck, 1975

Does anyone know the voltages on the 3 secondaries Main deck motor 12V but about 10.5V dc from the supply, nothing wrong with the ps and nothing wrong with the motor and its regulator. All that is left is the mains transformer.

Reply to
N_Cook

Personally I'd suspect the motor first. Have you checked the current draw by the motor? Sometimes as they age they draw more current.

Q: is the trasnformer running hot? If it is that would indicate a problem (Shorted turns).

Reply to
PeterD

with

left

I happened to have a near exact salvaged motor to swap over , pinion is grub screw fixed, so easy. Maybe both hare wrong the same way. Much the same result of DC

Reply to
N_Cook

with

left

An attitude problem. Bench tested/loaded both motors laying horizontal but the Aiwa one does not like being upside down, as in actual useage, doh.

N_Cook

Supply reservoir capacitor open circuit?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Nigel,

For what it's worth, I'm looking at a diagram for an AD-6300U, dated December 1976. This is a US model, with only a 120V primary. It shows that the transformer has 3 secondaries, one of which is devoted to the motor. It has a half wave (single diode) rectifier, D503, and a

1000uf/16V capacitor, C506. It shows the voltage on the cap as 14.5V it also shows 2 switches, S6 and S7 in parallel between the cap and the motor, so either switch could power up the motor. Could you have badly corroded switch contacts that are causing a large voltage drop? What is the voltage with the motor disconnected? If you are measuring the 10.5V at the capacitor, then I'd say try replacing the diode and/or capacitor.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

with

left

Much the same, half wave, switches, cap that I repalced was 1000uF, 25V now

2000 uF. Switch contacts were the first thing I checked. No its a motor problem and very critical on drive band properties, the main one and the FF/REW one they both interact of course and only a narrow range of tensions allowable. 11V in play and FF/REW now and speed constant and upto speed. I had to convince myself it was a motor problem by connecting in 6volt ac at the motor fuse and it made no difference because of the NEC upc1003 inside the motor limiting current. I doubt these sorts of motors are available new these days.

N_Cook

with

left

I checked rec and nothing except erase. Does the 6300 use 2 separate single in line rec/play changeover switch assemblies. The 6500 ones seem to be 10 pole change over , straight from pim

1 to 30 except 3 in the middle which don't switch over to anytrhing else , both L and R switches failed? the same which seems very odd for each to separately loose the same set of contacts .
Reply to
N_Cook

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:26:32 -0000, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, I have an Aiwa AD6300 (not AD6500) which I could cannibalise for spares. I'm in Australia, though.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Must be some enthuiast who owns this one. Eded up desoldering a Rec/Play slide switch. Alps make but instead of light horizontal wear on the static pins some were gouges, slightly arced . The sliding contact must have started fouling in the gouges then tipping up and opening out. Robbed some sliding contacts from a NOS one. Different make and design, so the sliding contacts now engage with a different part of the static pins. Regular 10 pole c/o ALPS 82-371-620-01

N_Cook