5-7 digit up/down counter with display

I know, not really repair, but this newsgroup has at least as good suggestions as the others and I'll cross-post to sci.electronics.misc.

I need to either build or acquire an up/down counter with LED display that is at least 5 digits, 7 preferred. Count speed is 10 MHz max.

I found the Maxim ICM7217

which seems easy enough to use - 2 of these and a bunch of 7 segment LED displays. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Even if someone had a complete unit scrapped out they'd be willing to sell cheap! :)

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Sam, I thought that Velleman made a kit that would do your bidding, but it seems that their up/down counter kit is for low speed (switch) inputs... only 200 counts per second. Red Lion Controls makes a 10KHz presettable counter; I see those infrequently on Ebay, usually in the $40 - $80 range. I remember servicing some HP presettable counters a number of years ago, and I know that one of those would easily work for you, but a quick search on Ebay turned up nothing. Neither Ramseykits nor any of the other kit makers have anything useful. So it seems, at first glance, that your ICM7217 solution might be the most expedient.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want
Reply to
DaveM

that

Yeah, even the ICM7217 may be marginal. I see it's only guaranteed to

2 MHz, though 5 MHz typical. It's not that there is a need for a sustained count rate above that, but I can't guarantee that two clocks won't occur quite close together.

Thanks for thinking about it. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

--

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Sorry, nothing but quoted text? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a link to a post in a.b.s.e, Sam. There's a PDF attachment.