Identifying BD/HD optical pickup

Can anyone identify a make and model for this pickup and/or player or burner this may have originated?

The only markings on the PCB are "BD/HDP" and rev.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Will this be on the quiz next week?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Quiz is today. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Ok is the sled out of a BenQ drive?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Sam,

As the drive professes to be an HD-DVD capable drive, and is from February 2006, I would take a GUESS at a Toshiba. I find the twin lenses an interesting design. I'm assuming one is for the HD-DVD and the other is for DVD and CD?

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Sorry, it's your quiz. :) Seriously, I don't know and would like to find out. Or, more precisely, someone asked me and would like to find out! Someone suggested it might be from a Sumsung player but I don't have much confidence in that statement.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Yes. If I recall, the DVD/CD part uses a hologram laser pickup with a very simple optical path. On the underside photo:

the CD/DVD path is from the turning mirror near the top going left to the hologram laser hidden by the copper "T".

Although there are two lenses (and I have since found another BD pickup with twin lenses), it does make many other issues much simpler to deal with. And possibly cheaper.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Oh I though you knew and were trying to educate :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

I do that also. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Awe, geez I feel like a putz :( It is a PS3 Blu-Ray pickup - assuming that is the one I sent you ? I seem to recall in my, "hooray, he fixed my Argon" euphoria some question from you - and I don't think (obviously, now :( ) that I answered you. Sorry, Sam ! Let me know if you need pinout info, current, etc !

Reply to
stonergl

It's not the same as the one you sent. The one you sent IS a PS2 pickup like the one at the top of this page:

The unknown pickup is the one further down the page.

It may indeed be compatible or a replacement, but it's not the usual one that I'm familiar with.

Thanks! :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

burner

Oh boy...just adding up those putz points, aren't I ? :-) Okay - I'll hazard a guess at it - could it be a Blu-Ray burner sled ? Where did it come from - as in...what bargain price was paid for it (if you know ?) I see loads of PHR-803T sleds (HD 2X player and X-Box HD drive replacement sleds) available out there, but I have one in front of me right now, and that pic is definitely NOT that type...and it is not a PS3 type, like I sent you - so the field is narrowing down quite nicely :-) Do you have any way to take a few more pics of it from differing angles ? Wish I could be more help, other than to ask more questions :)

Reply to
stonergl

burner

It's quite possibly a burner - that is how it was supposedly originally advertised on eBay. Then the seller backtracked and said it wsa from a player. I have no idea, this is third hand info. I could take more pics from other angles, but the top really should be distinctive. I don't know what's missing from the bottom but assume there's a boatload of circuitry that isn't there.

I have another dual-lens BD/HD pickup that I haven't photographed. But it's distinctly different.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: