Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

Hrm, just saw it on LinuxDevices.com. Made Slashdot, as well:

New Zaurus Linux PDA rumored to debut in January

"Sharp will introduce a new model of Zaurus in the U.S. in Jan. 2004, according to a post at ZaurusUserGroup.com. The Zaurus SL-6000 will be slightly larger than previous Zauri and will have a tablet shape with pull-out keyboard, VGA screen, and USB and dual-wireless connectivity, the articles says."

Here's the URL over at the Zaurus Users Group website. Site seems to be down due to Slashdot Effect, though. D'oh!

There might be mirrors posted in the comments over at Slashdot:

-bill! snipped-for-privacy@newbreedsoftware.com Got kids? Get Tux Paint!

William Kendrick

Sorry to follow-up to my own post. I also noticed there's an article over at BrightHand.com about the rumor, as well (linked from the LinuxDevices.com article):

RumorMill: Next Zaurus To Have VGA Screen, Keyboard

(Looking at that URL, I have to say that, frankly, it's no surprise that any upcoming model would have VGA resolution, since the existing clamshell models (SL-C700, SL-C750, SL-C760 in Japan) all have it.)

-bill!

Reply to
William Kendrick

William> I also noticed there's an article over at BrightHand.com about the William> rumor, as well (linked from the LinuxDevices.com article):

William> RumorMill: Next Zaurus To Have VGA Screen, Keyboard William>

It does not impress me at all. How can one name "keyboard" a set of tiny buttons less than 1/3 of a palm, shorter than a finger? And the screen orientation is wrong for a unix console.

[...]
--
Sergei
Reply to

The buttons an the SL-5500 are even smaller, and they are very, very usable.

It's a 'hand-held' computer, and therefore it's just right for me (I just like that format better than the clamshell).

MG

--
SuSE Linux 8.1                          Sharp Zaurus SL-5500G
Kernel 2.4.19-64GB-SMP                  SharpROM v2.38

It's a thumb-board, like all PDA keyboards. You might as well complain about cellphone keyboard being too small. It's also not intended for entry of 100

000-word theses. It's for entry of telephone numbers, names, brief memoranda, &c.

Again: it's a PDA. The screen aspect ratio is correct for palm-sized applications. User interface design is fundamentally different on tiny devices like this. Some vendors (Casio, for instance) experimented with the "tiny laptop" form factor for PDAs back in the dark ages of Windows CE 1.0. It doesn't work very well. Interfaces have evolved since then, both from a software perspective and a hardware perspective.

--

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

William>>> RumorMill: Next Zaurus To Have VGA Screen, Keyboard William>>> Lewin>

Lewin> It's a thumb-board, like all PDA keyboards. You might as well Lewin> complain about cellphone keyboard being too small. It's also Lewin> not intended for entry of 100 000-word theses. It's for entry Lewin> of telephone numbers, names, brief memoranda, &c.

I do have Psion 5mx whose keyboard is quite comfortable for typing substantial parts of an article when I am far from a desktop, and which, unlike laptop, leaves my hands free when I take a walk. I did it many times.

Lewin> Again: it's a PDA.

Than it's not for me. It is not suited to help me catch an inspiration.

[...]
--
Sergei
Reply to

Craig> Could always buy an external keyboard - Pocketop and Targus Craig> make folding PDA keyboards that are very handy. Then you get Craig> the best of both worlds...

  1. It doubles the size, mass, and the number of pockets required.

  1. I've seen reports that PDA often falls out of the keyboard when you try to use it in a train etc.

--
Sergei
Reply to

Could always buy an external keyboard - Pocketop and Targus make folding PDA keyboards that are very handy. Then you get the best of both worlds...

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Graham

Craig>>> Could always buy an external keyboard - Pocketop and Targus Craig>>> make folding PDA keyboards that are very handy. Then you get Craig>>> the best of both worlds...

Craig> Not quite doubles. It's not as space efficient as (for Craig> example) the old Psion 5mx keyboard (a miracle of compact Craig> design), but it's not even close to being as bulky as lugging Craig> a laptop.

Okay, supposing that a separate keyboard is acceptable, is it better to buy a Zaurus, or to install Linux on an Ipaq (or another such a PDA)? Which Linux should prove better?

[...]
--
Sergei
Reply to

Not quite doubles. It's not as space efficient as (for example) the old Psion 5mx keyboard (a miracle of compact design), but it's not even close to being as bulky as lugging a laptop.

The stand is seperate from the keyboard. You don't have to use it... (although I use it on the Brighton to London train all the time, and it's never fallen off yet...)

Craig

Reply to
Craig Graham

Basically it is the same Linux. OpenZaurus even runs on the ipaq nowadays, so it's really the same deal.

:M:

Reply to
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer

Michael> In comp.sys.handhelds Sergei Pokrovsky wrote: >> Okay, supposing that a separate keyboard is acceptable, is it better >> to buy a Zaurus, or to install Linux on an Ipaq (or another such a >> PDA)? Which Linux should prove better?

Michael> Basically it is the same Linux. OpenZaurus even runs on the Michael> ipaq nowadays, so it's really the same deal.

That's why I ask:

Given that the OS is (or can be made) one same, which hardware option is better?

--
Sergei
Reply to

Better will be a personal choice depending on what features you place importance on. The Zaurii have good keyboards and screens with two slots - but lack buitl in wifi/bluetooth. Your decision.

However in my view Sharp gets my cash for being brave pioneers in bringing to market a mass appeal Linux product instead of supporting the evil Microsoft. But thats just me.

--
regards
Gary

"The cosmos is all it is, all it ever was and all it ever will be" - Carl Sagan
Reply to
krusadr

importance on. The Zaurii have good keyboards and screens with two slots - but lack buitl in wifi/bluetooth. Your decision.

market a mass appeal Linux product instead of supporting the evil Microsoft. But thats just me.

Exactly. And since I love the clamshell format, I prefer using my C750 to my

3850 any day.

:M:

Reply to
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer