RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

Is there any difference b/w the terms Embedded linux and RTlinux.
please let me know the answer or any link to clarify this.
Thanks in advance for spending u r valuable time.

Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

Shure! There are both. Realtime Linuxes which are not embedded e.g. on a
regular PC as well as there are embedded Linuxes without Realtime
capabilities.

Sven

--
"Every time you use Google, you're using a Linux machine"
                             (Chris DiBona, a programs manager for Google)

Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux
Embedded linux is a generic term that desgin a linux made to work on a
specific embedded platform without realtime functionality (in fact since
2.6 kernel, linux have some realtime functionalities)
RTLinux, is a realtime kernel that run a Linux kernel as a task (an embedded
Linux or not). RTLinux is a specific term for a specific solution.

In fact, you can have an embedded RTLinux :p

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Chevillot

Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

IMHO they have nothing in common.

My view:

"Embedded" means that during normal work a standard command-line or GUI
user interface is not used. You don't _need_ to change anything in Linux
to do that but you _can_ strip it down to have it run on a
smaller/cheaper hardware.

(Hard) Realtime means that the system is able to guarantee that
predefined reaction times to certain hardware events are met. Linux
can't do this. (But there are add-ons that help). Soft Realtime means
that the timing constrains are only failed in very rare cases. Linux can
do this (activating Kernel preemption and other stuff when building the
Kernel helps).

RTLinux is the name of a company that sells Linux distributions and support.

-Michael

Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

Actually, to be clear, RTLinux was a product name of a real-time Linux
product owned by a company named FSMLabs. The RTLinux solution
(basically) is a modification that runs two operating systems. A small
real-time OS and Linux running at the same time on the computer. Normal
Linux applications running inside of the Linux portion of rtlinux are no
more real-time than normal Linux is but one can achieve hard real-time
performance in the smaller kernel that is running at the same time and
the two partitions can communicate. In practice, one sometimes has only
a small subset of the application that has hard real-time requirements.

As the years have gone by the standard kernel responsiveness in certain
platforms and conditions has really begun to approach that of RTLinux.

Note that Wind River acquired the licenses for RTLinux from FSMLabs
earlier this year.

http://www.windriver.com/announces/rtlinux /

Also note that while I am an occasional Wind river (vxWorks) user, I
don't for for the company and I have not used their previous embedded
linux product (other than a brief eval) and never did anything more than
some playing with rtlinux a few years ago.

Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux
I would like to know the current status of the RTLinux Open. Some of
other organizations also doing lot of works for RTLinux Open. But they
did not touched anything in RTLinux patch. They are using the existing
old patches.
Ocera::http://www.ocera.org /
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/projects/rtlinux/
http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org /
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mnis.fr%2Fen%2Fdownloads%2Findex.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8
If any other Organizations for RTLinux, Let me know.

-Prakash
http://electronica.org.in is an Open source site for learners and
beginners

Re: RTLinux vs Embedded Linux

If I would be in your Position of setting up a new Project I would strongly
consider to go for the newer Realtime Preempt http://rt.wiki.kernel.org
aproach instead of the older RTLinux stuff!

Sven

--
"The term "any key" does not refer to a particular key on the keyboard. It
simply means to strike any one of the keys on your keyboard or handheld