Rigid 80 column output with BusyBox 'ls'

Hello,

I am experimenting with embedded Linux (v2.4.22) on the NSLU2 (XScale IPX420).

It uses BusyBox (v0.60.4) to support 'ls' and other commands.

When I enter 'ls' via telnet with telnet configured for 80 columns, the multi-column 'ls' output is properly aligned.

But if I configure telnet larger than 80 columns, the 'ls' multi-column output is skewed. It appears that BusyBox 'ls' assumes 80 columns regardless of the actual terminal size.

Is there a solution for this? I would like to routinely configure telnet for wider than 80 columns.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
jfathman

Hello,

I am experimenting with embedded Linux (v2.4.22) on the NSLU2 (XScale IPX420).

It uses BusyBox (v0.60.4) to support 'ls' and other commands.

When I enter 'ls' via telnet with telnet configured for 80 columns, the multi-column 'ls' output is properly aligned.

But if I configure telnet larger than 80 columns, the 'ls' multi-column output is skewed. It appears that BusyBox 'ls' assumes 80 columns regardless of the actual terminal size.

Is there a solution for this? I would like to routinely configure telnet for wider than 80 columns.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
jfathman

update to newer busybox version (at least 1.01).

Reply to
M.Kmann