Remote boot / dynamic linking probs

Hi All

I'm trying to boot a linux machine via a network connection. I am at a point where I can boot the kernel, but not much more.

My Setup: Client (the one that needs to boot): Low end pc system with no form for disk. Network adapter with PXE support.

Server: Redhat 8, DHCP, TFTP, NFS. I've exportet a directory over NFS, that the client will use as it's root fileystem. Into that I've copied some initial programs and the libraries that they use (found with ldd).

When I boot the client, I see the kernel beeing startet, but when it comes to calling the init program it hangs.

To ifnd possible errors I've created a HelloWorld init replacement. It has 2 library dependencies (ld-x.x.x.so and libc6.so). I've made a communications trace with Ethereal, and I can see that it retrieves the ld.x.so over NFS protocol, but then nothing happens. If I delete the ld.x.so an error is printed.

I then tried to link HelloWorld statically, and that executes, prints HelloWorld and exits with kernel panic (just as expected).

On the server I've tried to do a chroot to the NFS exported directory, and the dynamic linked helloworld executes fine there.

I'm really at a loss here.. I've tried to google for a solution, but to no avail... heeeeelp.....

-Mads

Reply to
Mads Andreasen