Webcam Appliance?

I'm looking for a product that apparently does not exist and want to find out what it would cost to create a working prototype. Maybe embedded Linux is appropriate? I need a webcam appliance that can be made small and idiot proof. I want it to have connections for only power, a phone line, and a generic webcam.

The idea is it can be shipped anywhere...plugged in...pointed out the window...and it will then periodically (eg hourly) take a picture, dial a local ISP, and email/ftp the image.

The ISP info and camera schedule should be configureable.

Anybody have advice/suggestions? Websites/NewsGroups I should check out?

thanks

Reply to
fbj

There is no such thing as a "generic webcam"; you need to provide vendor-specific drivers. So you are better to integrate the webcam into the appliance. This also saves the cost of a USB host-side. Oh, look - we have just designed a network camera. Look at Axis' products for example.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Thanks....I found

Any idea how I go about finding someone to work on taking this to the next level (a prototype). I can provide the shoestring budget but not much else.

Is there a good place to post an "Axis Net Camera Script developer needed" article?

thanks again.

Reply to
fbj

Here, or comp.arch.embedded, probably wouldn't be a bad place. It's off-topic but not seriously so (IMHO). You might want to post a want ad at craigslist.org.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Sound like you need a digital camera, not a webcam. Digital camera provides better resolutions and zooming as well. You can't really stream video over a phone line. Why use a webcam?

All you need is a micro-controller and a modem chip/module, connecting to a digital camera.

Reply to
Edward Lee epl

Check the 686Core and 686Base units at

This is small and cheap kits! The 686Core have a video input as well as USB etc etc. A video camera is by far better than most webcams!

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Andersson