ELINOS and "mount" command

Hi everybody:

When I try to nfs-mount a remote PC from an embedded machine running
ELINOS 2.0 I have to wait for a very long time until the remote
directory is actually mounted.

Only after 2-4 minutes I can use the remote machine.

Has anybody experienced the same and can tell me what to do?

Thanks for any help!

Mathias...

Re: ELINOS and "mount" command

Fix your DNS configuration?

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

I'm not using DNS. I was trying the IP address and the /etc/hosts
file, but it's the same in both cases.

Another machine is connecting to the NFS server with no problems.

Mathias...

Re: ELINOS and "mount" command

You think you are not using DNS, but some software in your system  is
attempting  to  perform  a  name lookup. This is where the two minute
timeout is coming from.

Check all affected systems for correct host name settings and if name
resolution works - either by a name server or  files  based,  but  it
must work.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
Re: ELINOS and "mount" command

You don't really provide much information here.

Just a hunch, add "-o nolock" to your mount command.

If that doesn't work, come back with a _lot_ more details:
server OS and NFS software version, local kernel and mount
command version, what kind of network is between them, the
actual mount command, and anything else remotely relevant
to your configuration.  Do you know about tcpdump or other
packet sniffers?  Have you tried one on the server and/or
client?

       - Larry

Re: ELINOS and "mount" command

You got the point, Larry. With the "nolock" option everything works fine.

Thank you!

Mathias...

Re: ELINOS and "mount" command

Than this means that no portmapper is running on your local system.

Background information: normally, i. e. when NOT using  "-o  nolock",
the  kernel will attempt to start a 'lockd' kernel thread, which will
cause RPC calls  to  the  localhost's  portmapper.  If  the  loopback
interface  is up, these calls go through and fail only after a _very_
long timeout.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk