problems with difernent CF series

Hello,

Maybe somebody can give me an hint:

I have boot problems on a GEODE as well as on a CELERON panel pc using certain series of Sandisk CF. Now the manufacturer of the computer (formerly ROI, now KONTRON) admitted that they had also problems with certain Sandisk CF.

Linux crashes during boot at differnent times due to read errors when booting from CF. Sandisk 128 MB: SDCFB 128-101-00 seem to work, Sandisk 128 MB: SDCFB ...-201-.. seem not to work.

Viking 128 MB (series?) seem to work.

How can I find out, if it is a problem with the CF or with the Computer? Are there well known problems? With another PC I had problems with XtremeMemory, therefore I only bought Sandisk.

Greetings Ernst

Reply to
Ernst Murnleitner (mur)

snipped-for-privacy@sandisk.com helped me with my last Sandisk CF problems, give more information on system and partition to help you out

Cheers

Rushi

Reply to
Rushi

Are they using ATA or paged mode?

We had 5 of them (SDCFB-128-201-00) (3 sold to customers). They works fine on our Compact Flash Drive.

Do you have anything on the same channel? We had problems with some Sandisk on the same channel with other CFs, but they work fine by itself.

We use Sandisk, Lexar, Canon, Hitachi, Toshbia, Viking, Kingston, Lead data, Faiya, etc.

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF

Hello,

I changed several settings in the bios and now it works.

Now I am changing everything back to the old configuration to see what it really was. It seems that it was a combination of two or more settings. (I changed IRQ, block mode, prefetch and the linux starting option ide=nodma). By changin only one of these settings it does not fail. But it fails if I change all of them. Now, there are 2 ^4 = 16 combinations.

Don't know.

There is nothing on the same channel but the 3rd and 4th serial port are using IRQ 10 and 11. 3rd (IRQ 11) is the touch screen.

Greetings Ernst

Reply to
Ernst Murnleitner (mur)

We also had problems with different Sandisk CFs. When we moved to Industrial Grade CFs Linux refused to boot. It turned out that we had to disable DMA.

Reply to
Harold Chu

It depends on the IDE-CF interfaces. Some boards have problems with the newer CFs (>= 128M). Our boards work with most (tested with a Sandisk 256M and a Kingston 512M). We would be more than happy to exchange your newer CFs with an older one.

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF

Which GEODE system are you using? We have several customers with the Compaq IA2 (Geode GX1). Since the Geode Express ROM can only boot from 32M, they are using a 32M master and 256M slave (for Win98 and Slackware). They would be glad to upgrade their ROMs to boot from more than 32M, so they can attach a DVD drive as slave. By the way, the IA2 has only one IDE interface.

Anyway, they don't have any problem with Sandisk 256M.

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF