Embedded RTAI Linux on a PC104

Hello

I=B4m trying to make an embedded Linux system on an PC104. Also i need the Linux system to be realtime, I think RTAI would do the job. I tried White Dwarf Linux, but this is not working fine.

Can I make my own realtime-embedded Linux on an development pc, and then transfer it on the PC104? Is somebody having experience in this?

Reply to
Thomas

Yes you can. I used Klinux

to generate a RTAI-ed kernel and copied it to the target (PC/104) Vortex86 board. Cheap, Fast and Painless ;-)

/helix

Reply to
Helix

Hi Thomas

try

this is an educational robotics project using Linux and RTAI on embedded PC104 intel based boards

cu Patrick

Reply to
patrickhohmann

I'm using some boards from

They are cheap and are delivered with a 2.4 kernel. All boards have pc104 capability. I compiled a

2.6 and 2.6 RTAI patched kernel for them on my own PC running suse. Just download a clean vanilla 2.6 kernel in your home directory, chroot into it and patch it with rtai. Ofcourse you need to finetune your config file for the board. I stripped mine until a 1 MB bzImage file. Taco
Reply to
TW

It depends how many diskspace is available on the system. We are using cfdisks with 256MB space, debian linux and RTAI. The system on the cf-disk is simply said the core of the debian system without the tools from debian (dpkg,apt,var/cache/apt/...) and the whole doc part. The system is developed on a standard PC in a changeroot-environment and then the necessary parts are copied via shell-script to the PC104. So it was easy to get exactly the tools I need on the embedded system. It uses about 80MB on the cf-Disk. The Kernel is a simple vanilla actual

2.4 Kernel patched with rtai, build as debian-package... If you want a smaller diskspace-footprint, this could get very hard. I think its possible to get this down to 16MB using busybox, and having space for the own application.

Gruss calvin

--
\                                                   E-Mail: calvin@akk.org \
/ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ /

Hi Patrick

This Project is looking very good, especially it is using RTAI. I have 96MB of diskspace. Is this enough space for this Linux Realtime Environment?

Reply to
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I left the project in Sep2004, my last version was 0.2 of LiRE and took ~12MB on a target environment. As there are only 128 MB cards available at the institute and some space for 3Dlaser scan data is required on the robot, you will have a lot of space left with 96MB.

Simply download the last version of LiRE. Installing scripts are available to generate your own environment.

Have Fun Patrick

Reply to
patrickhohmann