FPGA within demonstration

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on a demonstration project of a lightweight vehicle. We would like to include a large FPGA to do some control and signal processing. This would ideally be a totally contained development board, that could be wired into some kind of bus. (Avoiding using a heavy backplane) Or a dual processing system with a conventional processor and FPGA on the same embedded card.

Unfortunately we're trouble identifiying a suitable device. There appears to be many PCI/VME ready devices, but few that can be used standalone (Attached to just communications and power!)

Does anybody know if there are suitable devices commercialy available? Could you point me in the right direction please?

Also is there any information available on similar projects. (Where an FPGA has been used as the controler for a vehicle)

Reply to
brif

Check out

for a stand-alone Spartan IIe board up to 300K. Not sure if this is large enough for your application.

As application examples I don't have any of those.

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on a demonstration project of a lightweight vehicle. We would like to include a large FPGA to do some control and signal processing. This would ideally be a totally contained development board, that could be wired into some kind of bus. (Avoiding using a heavy backplane) Or a dual processing system with a conventional processor and FPGA on the same embedded card.

Does anybody know if there are suitable devices commercialy available? Could you point me in the right direction please?

Also is there any information available on similar projects. (Where an FPGA has been used as the controler for a vehicle)

Reply to
James Morrison

Memec offers a fair number of inexpensive evaluation boards that provide circuit boards with FPGAs with on-board communication interfaces like USB and RS232 and generous expansion connectors. Here's a link to a development kit list and to an example:

NPE offers a rather dense controller board that combines a Spartan II FPGA with a PowerPC, many analog inputs, a few analog outputs, can a CAN communications port. Dunno about pricing though:

Dwayne Surdu-Miller

There are about 40 different development boards listed at

The Microtronix Cyclone board is targeted at industrial / automotive, and sounds like it might have the kind of communication you want -- USB, RS-232, RS-485, Ethernet, etc. It's got a Cyclone C20 on it, which is pretty big (20,000 logic cells), but still not that expensive.

If you need bigger than that, there are larger Stratix devices on other boards, all the way up to multi-S80 devices (at significantly higher prices of course).

Vaughn

If your budget won't bear that kind of expense, the

Reply to
Vaughn Betz

Hi.. I want to ask a question. is there a FPGA which have low number of I/O pin but high capacity of CLB resources?

Reply to
Murat Çakýroðlu

Our new Broaddown2 board is PCI based but is capable of stand alone operation. Production boards should be available to customer around the end of June. Full details of this board will appear on our website at official launch in 3 weeks time. If you would like some more details in advance please contact me offline. General contact details are available on our website.

We can also produce custom derivative boards from this design in 4-6 weeks to your requirements should the standard board not satisfy.

-- John Adair Enterpoint Ltd.

This message is the personal opinion of the sender and not that necessarily that of Enterpoint Ltd.. Readers should make their own evaluation of the facts. No responsibility for error or inaccuracy is accepted.

(Attached

Could

FPGA

Reply to
John Adair

check out at Xilinx.com , online store, there are many proto type boards. if you are from university and yours is research project, Xilinx is Kind enough to donate you not only the boards but all the software tools. - one who's been benefitted by XUP

Reply to
ram

A fairly complete list of available boards is at:

=================== Philip Freidin snipped-for-privacy@fpga-faq.com Host for

Philip Freidin