newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to this, but I am interested in the possibility of developing a Linux flavor for some device. Still, I am not quite sure how can the averge user install an embedded linux distribution on a given device that doesn't have a hard disk or other pc components, e.g. palmtop, cellphone, dvd player... Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Reply to
Lester Burnham

Hello Lester,

Take a look around some of the guides at linuxdevices.com and ucdot.org

Basically, a embedded image is built on a host PC, which includes the linux kernel and usually some kind of filesystem, and then it's transferred to the device across network or serial, or programmed directly into the unit's flash (rom). Some types of flash you can think of similarly to hard drives - with the appropriate filesystem drivers etc, you can just read/write to a mounted parition as usual.

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     damion@snapgear.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

If your device is supported by some linux distro, you can read it's docs for details (since it is always hardware specific). If you want to start from ground zero, you need to read the docs of the device firmware/bootloader and build a linux kernel image in the binary format supported by this firmare/bootloader. Then load and execute this kernel acording to the firmware documentation... Creating of the flash partitions can be done afterwards and then deployment is just a matter of uloading files to your flash partitions... Get "Building Embedde Linux Systems" by Karim Yaghmour - the book is a pretty good reading for beginers...

Lester Burnham wrote:

Best regards,

--
Alexander Popov                    ProSyst Bulgaria Inc.
RTOS Leader                        48 Vladajska Str.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alexander Popov

Thanks, I just found the book in the library and skimmed it a little... By the way, I am creating the device myself so I have no restrictions...

Lester

averge

doesn't

Reply to
Lester Burnham

[...] maybe you (newbie) should learn first how to post and how to search infos an the web (except in news)

- How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:

-

"newbie" as a subject in newsgroups (that is read by thousends of people around the world, isn't realy helpfull)

Reply to
Stefan Kaerst