vmware and linux

HI,

I want to learn about device drivers on linux. If I install a vmware player and a image of linux on it . I don't loose my windows notebook and have all the advantages of linux and if I screw up the file systems I can then take and just reinstall. By copying a few files.

Does anyone else use vmware the same way I am describing?

Reply to
zee

The "trouble" with that is that you can't then access any real devices because they're all inaccessable behind VMware's virtual machine interface. However, you can probably access the standard devices, like the serial port and parallel port, but at the VMware interfaces they're just software interfaces through the host OS's driver layer that look like hardware devices inside the VM, so they'll behave differently in terms of timing and the like, I guess.

The advantage is that you can take snapshots of the VM at any time and recover it instantly if you break it.

Having said that, I don't know if you can take snapshots with VM player. You certainly can with the full VMware workstation. You also can't create VMs with VMware player altough you can probably install onto a created, but empty, VM.

I've used VMware extensively with a windows guest on a Linux host, and less extensively with a Linux guest on a Windows host. Both work very well, but I've only used them at the application level of the guest OS rather than the device driver level. I've no reason to expect that there is anything fundamentally difficult with doing that, though, given the above caveat about hardware access.

--
Nobby
Reply to

So it would be a good way to learn how to write device drivers without risking my server that I have taken time to set up?

Reply to
john smith

Errr ...

[...]

Ah,I can't understand what do you mean. I use vmware just for a short time. "zee" ?ÈëÏû?ÐÂÎÅ:y42dnVNAsoYe1kXenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
monday

I am not sure if it is possible to work at the driver level with any emulator/simulator. The real behaviour and particularly the real-time events are definitely different with real devices directly interacting with the OS.

The approach of going for VMware sounds good only for application development, but if you have to deal with real interrupts and real time data then it dorn't seem to make any sense

Reply to
Hemant Mohan