Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

Microchip has just released a chip

 http://www.microchip.com/get/eu5vmicrostick

that makes a jump over all other competing CPUs.

Despite being a tiny chip, it connects directly to PC
through USB lead. Taking power from the USB lead, it
can be powered up, programmed and debugged without
ANY of the usual external components or programmers
needed to do this.

This leaves ARM world and intel world trailing
because they require special JTAG or other types of
programmers to get their chips up up and running and that
costs money.

The software for it can be written in C
and runs in netbeans IDE that uses
a variant of gcc as the compiler, and it all runs on Linux!!

Microchip has delivered some 1 billion chips to one customer
alone! (Samsung.)

But this new feature will allow any school kid to connect
up a chip by hand soldering a few components
and start programming it with industrial strength C backed
up by the power of Linux, Netbeans IDE and gcc.

PICs are superior when it comes to header files that describe
CPU. Every single register and bit field is defined in a
header file so when writing software and changing CPUs, its
no effort at all. PortA.bit1 means port a and bit 1 regardless
of CPU. Compare that with the crap from the ARM world.
Going from Cortex M0 to Cortex M3 your UART will be called
UART0 to USART0. ABSOLUTELY *FCKING* MAD!! This is a deliberate
abject failure of MBAs (read non-techies running the show)
that kills their own markets. It gets worse - the bit fields
have no names. So you might call bit 11
of port3 PIO3_11, while the guy in the next cubicle
calls it PORT3_11. And now the code is impossible to
knit together.

As the CPUs get larger and become SoCs, then even
registers don't have header files and names.
Which absolutely and completely cripples portability of software,
sales for chip vendors, and sales for ARM.

Microchip still haven't a chip that is fast enough to
run Linux or big enough to run Linux, but they could
and should do it, and release header files for their SoCs,
and also have this USB connector programmer feature
in, and they will just sweep the entire market.
ARM and their crap will become a nobody overnight.

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

Microchip has made a demo/eval board with a built-in USB debugger, for a
crappy microcontroller.  That's not exactly big news - pretty much every
microcontroller manufacturer does the same (though few have as horrible
architectures as PICs, excluding the MIPS PIC32).

Microchip makes a crippled demo version of its compiler available for
free - that's hardly news either.

What /is/ outstanding is that their compiler is gcc - and they use
user-unfriendly licensing of their library and headers (of which you are
so fond) to force people to pay for an open-source compiler written by
volunteers and companies (including Microchip's competitors).

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

It plainly indicates one CPU with USB and 'built in debugger' but that claim
is very misleading. Looking at the circuit diagrams, the blurb is definitely
misleading. There are two CPUs on the one board (the one not shown in photo)
that is the debugger. There is no debugger inside the chip shown.

Back to the drawing board until someone brings out a chip with just wires
for USB connector and debugger and USB controller 100% built into the chip.

The basic gcc compiler is free with all those header files, and without
support. The optimizing compiler with support is not free. Having used both,
there is no improvement in the code space if you already program optimally.
The optimizing compiler is just a way in to buy support.

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

Something like on the <http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardLeonardo>
board?
ATmega32u4 datasheet: "All supplied parts are preprogramed with a default
USB bootloader".

A single chip solution is running on my desk, the product does exist.
Just not for Linux, if that was also a requirement.  :-)

Regards,
Arie de Muynck.

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

Thank you I research this and its 100%!!
And it runs under Linux 100% - search for AVR tool chain - the tool chain
is entirely command line and uses gcc compiler. The make utility also writes
through the virtual USB serial port and programs the device.
(The AVR studio can also do this and also runs in WINE with a little
teasing.)

Wow never knew all this. I largely ignored Atmel but pay more attention
from now on.

Thanks.

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

Lots of A/D, D/A (PWM), and digital I/O lines.  Only 18 Euros.
Put a few of those in your 'bot and it'll stand up, salute,
and whistle "Dixie"!

First computer I programmed had far less capability and it
supported a keyboard, screen (5" oscilloscope), text editor,
assembler, tape drives and lab instrumentation interface --
the DEC LINC.

Your Deluxe model could have a PlastiFlesh exterior, a cute face,
a French accent, and complete equipment for satisfying women
whose male acquaintances have "petered out".

Snit the Prude will target you, but there's no such thing as
bad publicity!

--
David Korten - The Great Turning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPiZJ5N9TkY

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers
On 6/21/13 2:17 PM, in article Xp3xt.46846$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.iad, "Mark S

Is there any post you make where you do not obsess about me and lie about
me?

Question for you: why have you not corrected your misinformation about me on
your website? I even give you the correct information about my views, here:

    <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/BilkHelp.html

Only reasonable conclusion is you are purposely lying about me. Why... other
than that you are a self-described psychopath?

--
Bilk: the self-described psychopath.
<http://bit.ly/148b9z9

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:17:43 +0000, Mark S Bilk wrote:

[putolin]

The first microprocessor I programmed was a 6800 (which was state of the
art) with 2k of memory and a hexadecimal keypad.  The display was four
man8 LED array which displayed hexadecimal.  Damn I'm old.

I fact I still have it,  I wonder if it still works?

I ought to fire it up and see if it boots to "CPU UP"

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

MARCH (the NJ computer museum)
    http://www.midatlanticretro.org/
has an exhibit of ONLY homebrew & prototyping systems
such as the Heathkit ET-3400 for the 6800,
the KIM and SYM for the MOS 6502,
RCA Cosmac microtutor for the 1801,
RCA Cosmac VIP for 1802,
even a Western Electric Bellmac 8 MAC tutor.
My personal web page documenting them is:
    http://ferretronix.com/march/sbc/

-- jeffj

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

No it doesn't.  It is just a 16-bit cpu.
No competition at all to other chip makers in regards to PCs.

Re: Microchip makes a jump over all other CPU makers

But those aren't competing CPUs. A competing CPU would be one
with lower or similar power consumption, cost, or gate/transistor
count.

Phil
--
If "law-abiding citizens have nothing to fear" from privacy-invading
technologies and policies, then law-abiding governments should have