Linux 2.6.14 and MPC8349E

Hi,

has anybody yet tried to get Linux 2.6.14 running on a MPC8349E? Compilation works fine using the default config (mpc834x_sys_defconfig) but after booting the kernel with U-Boot 1.1.3 it starves after the line 'Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK'. Using my debugger I can debug up to the RFI instruction in turn_on_mmu (head.S). Probably a problem setting up the MMU correctly?

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I'm using the default DIP switch settings in the Getting Started doc.

Any hints appreciated, Florian.

(By the way: Why does 'make ... vmlinux' and 'make ... uImage' works fine, but 'make ... ' not?)

Reply to
Florian Behrens

Hi, I feel your RAM is not working in "BURST" Mode thats why kernel is crashing. So try to increase the instruction accessing interval or delay by register setting .

Thanks

Reply to
prabhat_singh

Hi,

thanks for your help, but I rather think that it's a problem with MMU setup (probably connected to wrong DIP switch/RCW settings?).

After the mentioned RFI instruction, the CPU jumps to start_here somewhere in segment 0xC000xxxx, which is quite reasonable. Unfortunately there is no code, which is still in segment 0x0. Why? Is there any documentation out there (except from the commenting in the code) which explains, what head.S does exactly?

Did anybody of you get Linux running on MPC834x? Did you use the standard configuration and DIP switch settings?

Thanks in advance, Florian.

prabhat snipped-for-privacy@satyam.com schrieb:

Reply to
Florian Behrens

The kernel should map the loaded and uncompressed kernel code starting from virtual address 0xc0000000 before jumping in.

Maybe the MMU is not enabled in time.

The standard method is to map the kernel into two blocks of virtual addresses: an unity mapping and a mapping to the final virtual address, then enable the MMU, jump to the final virtual location and unmap the unity mapping.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi