LiLo BOOT argument ???

I have a system, running on SUSE. It stops with msg ( No prompt ;
nothing)

 /dev/hda3 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced

The Watchdog timer on the system boots the system after 900 seconds
automatically.

Unfortunately I don't have any floppy disk or CD-ROM drive with this
box to boot with, no option in bios to boot with network as well.

I am sure by passing certain values to lilo I can get to the rescue
prompt.

I tried passing (lilo tab is lnx in my case)

Lxn rescue

Lnx single

Lnx emergency

No luck.

Any idea what to pass in argument with lilo??????????

Any help appreciated

Rushi

Re: LiLo BOOT argument ???
Hi Rushi,
I'm not sure of what SuSE's 'rescue' abilities are, but you should be able to
start
the kernel and then a shell by doing this:

Lnx init=/bin/sh

(providing /bin/sh isn't corrupted on /dev/hda3 :)
You'll then have to check the hda3 parition manually and/or turn off the
watchdog so
it can boot and fsck.

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     snipped-for-privacy@snapgear.com
Re: LiLo BOOT argument ???
Damion, thanks

It works, although it was urgent so I took the hard disk out and did
the fsck as secondary.

But next time I will use init=/bin/sh

One more thing;

I am redesigning one of our products to run on embedded Linux, which
is apparently running happily on full version of Linux for 8 years
now.

It has to be very secure, as police and authorities all over the world
use it and I don't want to keep any loophole in my new system.

Any suggestions from any one to build secure embedded Linux system
..

Cheers

Rushi

start
watchdog so

Re: LiLo BOOT argument ???

Secure against what?  There are *many* conceivable risks for an
embedded system used for a law enforcement function.

We can't advise you without more information; the correct path will
vary significantly depending on which risks are most important to
moderate.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor /
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org /