Emacs alternative

I am working on an embedded project and I have decided to keep it relatively
generic. I am using gdb and gdbserver with the DDD shell for debugging,
which works pretty well for me, but for writing code the Emacs editor drives
me crazy. It is very classic, neat, clean and simple and most importantly
pretty well integrated with the gcc command line compiler. However,
absolutely no keystrokes besides the regular letters and digits are the
present standard neither in the GUI Linux world nor in the Windows world.
Since I am using both it's a pain in the ..... Whenever I hit the home key
to go to the start of the line it jumps to the start of the file, find is
called search and I haven't found a short cut for it yet and so on and on.

Isn't there are more modern editor available that integrates equally well
with the gcc compiler but still stays neat, clean and simple but STANDARD?
Something like a GUI Emacs.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jens.

Re: Emacs alternative

Anjuta

Re: Emacs alternative
Thanks,

Now comes the problem that I am using an older RH 7.2 and the present
release of Anjuta will not install on that :-( I guess I will eventually
have to get a newer RH,

Jens.

Re: Emacs alternative

While you might not be able to get a binary package for RH 7.2, why
don't you simply grab the source for Anjuta and build it?  In my
experience, 8 out of 10 times, if a binary package isn't built for your
specific system, you can still just build it manually.  You can even use
"checkinstall" and it'll even generate an RPM install for you.

Pete

Re: Emacs alternative
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go.

Jens.

Re: Emacs alternative
Hi,

I downloaded the source but it will not configure and thus build. It cannot
find some libraries. Also it seems to be designed for the Gnome and I am
using the KDE.

Jens.

Re: Emacs alternative
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:44:26 +0100, "Helix"

How about source navigator ? Especially nice if you need to
update old code, or code that was written by someone else.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: Emacs alternative
I stumbled accross Kwrite, part of the KDE package that came with RH for the
PC.

Nice color syntax highlighting and standard key functions. Though not a
"programmer's editor", I have come to like it.

Steve

relatively
drives

Re: Emacs alternative

<Reordered>

If you've got as Kwrite, the next stage is Kate, which is my current
programming environment. It uses Kwrite as an editor, has a file selector,
and a console. I like the way the console automatically changes path as you
go through your open files.

--
Dave Clarke

Site Timeline