kernel memory footprint

Hi, sorry if the question is foolish, but how can I measure how much RAM is the running kernel occupying?

regards

--
Luca
Reply to

Not foolish. I've tried for a couple years to get a straight answer from the kernel developers and continue to fail. Actually - what I want is a simple table showing: - kernel code / loadable module size - kernel data size - various cache sizes [file, buffer, ...] - application resident set size so I can show our customer (DoD / NASA) that our applications meet spare memory requirements by analysis [instead of loading a mlock'd memory pig to consume spare / demonstrate application still runs OK].

You would think that application RSS would be easy to get - but the number shown for an mlockall'd process does not necessarily match the total application size [?!].

If you get an answer separately, please let me (and others) know. --Mark

Reply to
Mark H Johnson

You did not specify what hardware you are using, but if everything else fails, looking through the hardware virtual memory registers and virtual memory mapping will show which physical memory pages are accessible only in kernel mode :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen