Kernel Profiling: suggestions plz

Hi Buddies, Currenty am using Xilinx ML310 FPGA board and am running PPC(32) linux on it.Now I want to profile kernel, like I want to run an application and start kernel profiling and as application is finished I want to stop kernel profiling and investigate where kernel is spending more time.

I tried gprof for user space programs ...it was fine..but I dont know how to do kernel space profiling .Do I need to add any patches ?.

Can anyone suggest me what is /proc/porofile..because when I read ppc embedded linux doc, it says kernel profiling can be done through booting with option "profile=2" I have done and found /proc/profile.But when I used "readprofile" it says /usr/src/linux/System.map doen't exists.

usually when I cross compile and build new Image for my target... an empty System.map file is created ...why it happens?

Could any of you can advice me some methods hot to profile kernel running on PPC(32)

anticipating for your kind suggestions....thanks a lot..

regards Jaggu

Reply to
Jaggu

Hi buddies, this is just to ping..as I said before my problem lies that I use montavista linux running xilinx ml310 board...when I recompile kernel and make new build ...I found System.map file created at top level is an empty...

could any expert can suggest me do I need to take care something in toplevel makefile or else ?

anticipating some pings

thanks and regards Jaggu

Reply to
Jaggu

I am on the track...so nm vmlinux > System.map

nm vmlinux | grep -v '\(compiled\)\|\(\.o$$\)\|\( [aUw] \)\|\(\.\.ng$$\)\|\(LASH[RL]DI\)' | sort > System.map ( irrelevant or uninteresting symbols are grepped out)

by doing as above I have solved my System.map file empty problem.

by using "readprofile" command I could see some sort of kernel profiling...

regards jaggu

Reply to
Jaggu