squashfs + devfs root device problem

Hi all,

In an earlier post some days ago I mentioned that I had a compressed
ext2 image which I used as an initrd root disk, and which I'd like to
convert so that it is a SquashFS image. So I've patched my kernel to
include SquashFS and I've built the tool to generate the image and link
it into my kernel in the same way.

However, it does not work and I cannot figure out whether the problem is
being caused by devfs or squashfs. Here's the log coming from my serial
port (with irrelevant bits snipped). Are there any logs or other things
I can turn on to determine the cause of the problem ? What does the -2
error indicate ?

Primary instruction cache 16kB, physically tagged, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
Initial ramdisk at: 0x802bf000 (2314240 bytes)

[..]

Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram ro rootfstype=squashfs devfs=mount
console=ttyS0,38400

[..]

Starting kswapd
devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch ( snipped-for-privacy@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: devfs_debug: 0x0
devfs: boot_options: 0x1
Squashfs 2.2-r2 (released 2005/09/08) (C) 2002-2005 Phillip Lougher
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured

[..]

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 20480K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)

[..]

RAMDISK: squashfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 2260 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
Freeing initrd memory: 2260k freed
VFS: Mounted root (squashfs filesystem) readonly.
mount_devfs_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2
Freeing prom memory: 1020kb freed
Freeing unused kernel memory: 72k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

Re: squashfs + devfs root device problem

Hmm, got it sorted.

The mksquashfs utility is a little weird - it produces different results
for the following two command lines :

mksquashfs src-dir/ ./image.sqsh
mksquashfs src-dir/* ./image.sqsh

The second version of the command above cured my problem.

Site Timeline