vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL--What Does the EL Mean?

A year ago I installed RHL 9 and went on to build a realtime kernel from some instructions in a How-To. Recently my computer hiccuped badly enough that I'm repeating the process now. However, unlike previously, when I get to the stage where I want to add a realtime entry in lilo, I see that uname -a produces a different name than I previously used, vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL. What in the world does the EL mean? Note that in this latest attempt to build a rt kernel, I specified in menuconfig that I wanted to use the enhanced rtc. Is it possible that it means embedded Linux and means that it means some standard for such?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
W. Watson