vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL--What Does the EL Mean?

A year ago I installed RHL 9 and went on to build a realtime kernel from some
instructions in a How-To. Recently my computer hiccuped badly enough that I'm
repeating the process now. However, unlike previously, when I get to the stage
where I want to add a realtime entry in lilo, I see that uname -a produces a
different name than I previously used, vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL. What in the world
does the EL mean? Note that in this latest attempt to build a rt kernel, I
specified in menuconfig that I wanted to use the enhanced rtc. Is it possible
that it means embedded Linux and means that it  means some standard for such?