Embedded linux with best developer tools?

I am starting a new project involving multiple PC boards, image processing,
and servo controllers.  The processors will communicate via Eithernet or
CAN.  Which embedded linux distribution offers the best development
toolkits?  I have been looking at the MontaVista package.  If I want the
best quality (solid, good toolkits and docs, driver support) Linux OS for a
critical application, which would I choose?

Thanks

Re: Embedded linux with best developer tools?

You probably can't go far wrong with MontaVista.

However, if all you need is development tools, the free ones
aren't too bad, especially if you're targeting mainstream PC hardware.

If this is your first introduction to embedded Linux,
go ahead and use Montavista.  Once you've got some
experience under your belt, try the free tools.
- Dan

Re: Embedded linux with best developer tools?
Is there somewhere a good comparison between the different development tools?

Chris

Re: Embedded linux with best developer tools?

If you know how to configure a linux-system you may want to try SnapGear.
www.snapgear.org
Its free of charge.

I like it.

mfG. Klaus Hachmeister