Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Hi all,

      Am working on a project that aims to device an Embedded System
which has serial input and GPRS output.

Like this

Serial data ====> Embedded System (using GPRS modem) ===> UDP/TCP to
internet cloud.
 (Input)
(Processing)                                          (Output)

This has to be very very cost effective hence. my question is

Is there a Embedded Linux Distribution that has support for GPRS
drivers and charges the minimum for commercial development (OS+
Deveopment Tools) for three developers MAX.

the linux distribution that does charges nothing/ negligible as run-
time royalty/unit.

or is there a link you can provide that gives me these data.  I did
try my best with google but dint give me a proper answer.

Thanks in Advance,

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

http://developer.axis.com /

http://www.acmesystems.it /

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Thanks Dan but i don't want the Hardware Details.  Just the Cost
analysis of OS + Development Tools + RunTime royalty/unit (if any).

For example with windows it goes like this

*OS + Development Tools (WinCE + Platform Builder) = $995
*Runtime Royalty  = $3/Unit.
*Free Support for 5 years.

Am sure Linux should have much better answer than the above but just
could on find it, thats why seeking you people's help.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

With Linux, it goes like this

- OS + Development tools = $0 (*)
- Runtime royalty = $0 / Unit (**)
- Free support forever = $0 (***)

(*) The Linux operating system and most of the available userspace
software are 'free for use under the GPL licence. The required tools are
mainly an editor, (cross)compiler and debugger, all available under the
same license.

(**) No ryalties involved. really.

(***) 'Free' support is something you can get from the community.
Newsgroups, mailinglists, irc, etc. There's no toll-free 24/7 number you
can call though, so you're on your own every now and then.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Thanks Phillippe,
Well great. If i consider uClinux which is open source and if i
develop this project  with help of some other open source Development
Tool as well then Can i commercially sell it(Embedded System) without
publishing the code along?

Do you know any such distribution that has Drivers for GPRS modem?

Thanks in Advance,

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Which modem?  What interface (RS232, CF, USB or BT)?

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Modem's Model isnt been decided yet but the interface is going to be
PCI-Slot modem that can be fixed on the board.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

I would be interested to know the driver for choosing Linux.  Can you
provide more information on the application?  So far we know you want to
receive serial data and write to a GPRS modem with the lowest cost
development system and run time cost - an 8051 would seem to fit the bill so
far ;-)  but not with Linux or a PCI modem. naturally......

Richard.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

GPRS is a few AT commands.

Rene

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Ask your lawyer.

The general rule of thumb is that for any (existing) project under the GPL
license that you modify, you have to make available the _modified_ source
code. It is also considered good practice to contact the original developers
and to offer them to include your modifications straight into the official
distribution, but it's not mandatory IIRC. And nothing prevents you from
selling the product, if you abide to the rules of the GPL.

OTOH, if you develop an application on top of an open-source stack (let's
say as an X-based control interface for your embedded system), as long as
you don't modify existing libraries or such but simply use them, you're
pretty much free to chose whichever licence you want for your own code. You
still have to make available the source code of the GPL products you ship as
a part of your product, including adapted Makefiles to get them to compile
to your target, but that wouldn't disclose any trade secret (presumably).

When it comes to dev tools (GCC and such), use them as much as you want for
your project. I don't know of any usage limitation.

Remember that this is just my opinion and a very short overview, and I am
*not* a lawyer. _Ask your lawyer!_ (And read the GPL a dozen times to get it
to sink in.)

Regards,
D.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

This omits some further estimates:
    Development machine OS (Some version of Windoze) = $500
    Cost of down time when it crashes (yearly)       = $2000
    Cost of auxiliary anti-virus software            = $70
    Yearly cost of maintenance of above              = $50
    Risk of MS theft (allowed per EULA)              = ???

not to mention that the MS support largely consists of "reboot.  If
it doesn't work reload".

And try getting source for the suspected system from MS.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?
        XP Professional from NewEgg                      $279
      My experience with XP home over last year        < $700
       Free with Comcast Cable Modem service             $0
                                                         $0
      Cost of Installation time
      and search for IDE                     > $700
      Cost of time to learn yet another
      OS and figure out exactly where all
      the configuration files are hiding
                                             > $7000

Mark Borgerson

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

IDE, what for ?

Which is about the same time & amount it would cost me to learn to use
the Windows operating system. You should have learned the right OS right
away...

(I just *love* these kind of discussions, let's discuss Vi vs Emacs and
Gnome vs Windowmaker after this!)

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

To waste some time in most click-through-it way?

If you plan to start it, this is my vote for Vi. ;)

M.

--
Windows could be an OS. You might as well build a tank with 16 lawn
mower's engines and a bucket.

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

If You need just to collect data from serial port and sent it over GPRS
You can do everything inside GSM module.
Almost all new modules supports scripting/high level languages (Python,
Java, even C++) and has built-in TCP/IP stack.
In my opinion it will be cheapest solution.
Look for wavecomm, telit or siemens GSM modules.
I think, even simple processing of data could be done inside GSM module.

Best Regards
AK

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

The modules are pretty good.
For a cheap dev kit try sparkfun.

eval kit -   quad band module with python and gps
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id28%0   rs232
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id79%17  usb

camera to plug into module
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id79%06

Using a telit module http://www.telit.co.it/product.asp?productId10%5

Alex

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Or win one for free:
http://www.epn-online.com/page/42115/three-compact-gprs-gps-developer-packages-to-give-away-win-a-fast-track-positioning-solution-bundled-with-access-to-the-track4free-server.html
Reader offer : Win this product
*** Three Compact GPRS GPS Developer Packages to Give Away ***
win a fast-track positioning solution bundled with access to the
www.track4free.com  server

Regards
Meff

Re: Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

You can't afford Lunix for this.

If all you need is serial in and TCP/IP out what the hell do you need an
RTOS like Linux for?   Whilst Linux is "free" for the SW (watch costs
for time to get it all working)  I suspect that you could do your system
on a small micro with very little memory.  It will cost you quite a lot
per unit for the HW to run Linux and the app.

I am sure there are some FREE TCP/IP stacks around (
see http://www.embeddedinternet.com ) so you won't need an RTOS as well.