Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz

We're seeking a consultant with significant development experience
configuring/modifying/developing for linux distributions, with a
particular emphasis on embedded systems (although this project may use
i386 hardware).

We seek someone to consult/advice on both the purchase of hardware used
to construct a particular hardware device and to choose, design,
implement and package a widely supported distribution of the linux
operating system and package management system running on that hardware
(probably debian, although we are open to suggestions).

If you're interested/have the right experience/knowledge, shoot me an
email.

Sincerely,
Lee

The hardware requirements and specifications will be formalized during
development of the project. Currently the hardware should meet the
following requirements:

Core Specs:
1)    The cost of the core hardware (box and all internal components,
including PCI cards and storage) should be as low as possible with a
maximum of approximately $400-500 dollars.

2)    The system should be designed to limit risk of failure. The
system should use solid-state flash storage and possibly a fan-less
processor.

3)    The system should be as simple and easy to manufacture and
construct. Ideally all components should be off the shelf, and the
computer itself should be purchased pre-made, with only a few upgrades
necessary before use. We may consider making a deal with a large PC
manufacturer to build and service the boxes under contract. The more
standardized the hardware (i386 etc...) the easier such an arrangement
would be to arrange.

4)    The hardware should support all the old legacy input and output
devices, wireless via an RS232 connection, Ethernet, enough storage to
support the OS, Core System Software, and 512MB of data. Drivers and
PCI interface cards for said legacy devices will be chosen and
completed outside the scope of this project.

5)    All hardware components must be linux compatible.

The Operating System / Package management system design should meet the
following specifications:

1)    The operating system should be built using a highly stable,
time-tested, widely supported flavor of linux. Maybe Debian?

2)    The operating system must NOT carry a licensing fee/cost.

3)    Ideally the OS should be 100% open source (GPL,LGPL etc...).

4)    Choices of software/OS should ensure MAXIMUM reliability,
stability and security.

5)    The OS should include a built in package management system, and
should be easy to configure, compile packages for, and contain an
extensive collection of stable software pre-built for it.

6)    The OS should be boot off an internal flash memory card, and the
OS and data storage should run off a ramdisk (unless said flash memory
card can support at least 15 years of continuous use).

7)    The system must be designed to self-upgrade off of our central
package repositories. All software (custom and non-custom),
configuration files, and data stores must be upgradeable through this
package management system (you will be responsible for setting this up,
and ensuring we can maintain it). The system must run automatically,
and must not require ANY intervention from a human.

8)    The system must ensure that access to our repositories is limited
only to our authorized boxes (permission must be revocable on the box
level). A compromised box must not compromise other boxes or the system
as a whole. This is most likely best handled via disposable
certificates.

9)    SSH access to the box should be available via certificate access
only. A single root password must not be used across multiple boxes.

10) All core software and the OS must be easily installable on the
boxes.

11) One install image for the system and custom software must be
provided for easy install. It is assumed that all machines will be
setup with this initial image, and updates to all non-custom and all
custom software will then be made immediately afterwards using the
system's software update system (off our package repositories). A
method of inputting box specific stuff (certificates etc..) must also
be accounted for.

12) Complete instructions for a simple method of creating packages for
all custom software and drivers must be included.

13) The operating system/system software should be stripped down to its
most minimal components to minimize security, stability and maintenance
issues.

14)  All non-individual-box specific settings (repository address,
central repository keys, check intervals etc...) may be stored in
standard text file configuration locations as long as all those files
(individually or as packages) are updateable via the standard software
update off the repository.

15) The operating system and core system software must be upgradeable
remotely but should have a long life-cycle (either through choice of a
particular distribution or through minimization of installed
components) of at least 5 years to minimize the frequency of updates to
the core system/OS.

The design of the operating system and hardware must ensure extremely
high levels of security, reliability and up-time. Between 5000 and
20000 boxes will be installed in geographically disperse areas across
the united states. The cost to manually reboot boxes is high. The cost
of malfunctioning boxes could be even higher. This box must be designed
to run stably and securely.

Re: Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz
Dear Sir/Madam,

Do anyone have any software for repair  or update the mobile phones?or
the software can repair the NOKIA mobile phone power?

thanks!

Looking forward to your fast reply!

Paul Chong
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Re: Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz
Without any hesitation I would suggest that you take a look at
Technologic website at http://www.embeddedx86.com for their products
(they have the new ARM processor too).  I used the TS-5700 for my
project at home and it works rock-solid (the embedded PC-104 is even
more stable than all others PC/Server that I run at home).  I think the
TS-5700 is very close to what you want.

Regards,

Khue Pham

PS.  Please note that I don't have any relationship with either
Technologic company or any individuals down there.  I use their product
and really like it so I recommend for other.

Linux boards at GAO Engineering
There are a number of Embedded Linux Boards at GAO Engineering'
website that you might find useful

GAO Engineering Embedded Linux Boards

http://www.gaoengineering.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath =

Re: Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz

I was surprised not to see this in comp.os.linux.embedded

I've been getting email from TimeSys, and you may want to check
out LinuxLink, their Linux configuration subscription service.

www.timesys.com/linuxlink/

I have not used it, nor am I affiliated.  It just looked interesting
at the ESC, so I got on the mailing list.

Rufus

Site Timeline