Embedded linux w/msdos hdimage file

This is related to an embedded environs where an
MSDOS partition image written to a file and then executed
by dosemu.  I need to mount this as a block device on some
ramdrive directory, so that I can export it with samba.

The file containing the msdos partition image works fine
with dosemu and I can also use mtools to see the file as drive m:
from a linux shell, but I need to mount it under /dosc so that windows
can also see and write to it via tcp as myhost://dosc

Basically, does anyone know how I can mount this hdimage (now a file)
also as /dosc.  I tried using the loop device: mount filname /mnt -t
msdos -o loop, but it complains about the file's format.

Thanks
TonyB

--
  __      __  _     I N C.               http://www.sysdev.org
/ __|\// __||  \  __   __          /         snipped-for-privacy@sysdev.org

By looking at hdimage file created by mkfatimage16m I noticed that
the boot sector was at offset 0x2280, rather than at 0, if it was
a device /dev/hda1.  So I truncated the hdimage file by cutting off
the first 8832 bytes and redid the mount command above and it worked!

However, dosemu will not work if $_hdimage is set to the truncated
image.  So I need a way to specify the file starting at offset 0x2280,
while leaving it intact...  But I do not know how to specify a file
starting at a byte offset, for use by the mount command ???

TonyB