Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

Hi

I am thinking to build me a fanless / diskless (only CF card ) system with
GUI  , are there any existing small distros i can use ?
Any links or tips ?

Johan

Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

This will work for 1G or 2G CF.

See http://cfd.linnix.com/main.php?kde

Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

If you need a *real* embedded linux system look at linux embedded
distros (try with google).
If not you can use almost every linux distro that surely can run between
1GB to 2GB,  BTW have you seen DSL linux ?
HTH

Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

Actually, size is not that big a problem.  We can put most of it in 1G,
and a really stripped down KDE on 512M.  But 1G and 2G CFs are so cheap
now, it doesn't make sense to flight it.  The problem is with write
cycles.  The MLC (multi level cells) flash are much easier to wear out.
 You CANNOT just run it like a hard disk, which most standard distro
would do.  We boot from a CF (in 20 seconds BTW) to KDE and run the CF
read-only.  See the rest below and comments/suggestions are welcome:

http://cfd.linnix.com/main.php?kde

Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

Small Distro you have to build on your own.
BusyBox +uC + Buildroot and all what you want is very small... 4MB or
smth...

Krzysztof

Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI

But why?  32MB CF is less than $5 each. 1G is less than $30.  I am sure
you can find something reasonable between 32M and 1G.

Re: Diskless VIA EPIA with GUI
http://damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini_ITX_Systems/Damn_Small_Machine

Nano-ITX Computer The Damn Small Machine!
The Damn Small Machine now in stock!
Mix a slick little case, the brand new Nano-ITX technology**, and one
256MB DSL booting USB pen and you have a Damn Small Machine.
What's in it?
On-Board VIA EDEN Nano 800Mhz (Fanless)
On-Board (embedded) 256MB DDR266
On-Board 10/100Mbps LAN