Debugger versions mess

Help!

I have created a setup of RH 7.2 on my Linux box, got a matching
gdbserver on my 486 embedded Linux board and it works pretty well.
However, RH 7.2 is fairly old and I want to upgrade to RH 9 to run
something else than emacs as editor (anjuta is nice). Now comes the
problem. The gdb that comes with RH 9 is newer than the gdbserver on
the embedded machine so all kinds of error messages comes up when I
try to use them together. If I try to use the gdbserver from RH 9 on
the embedded it will not start because it claims the libc to be too
old. Running the gdb from RH 7.2 starts without complains but doesn't
work.

Basically I am out of sync - I know that, but how do I move on?
Preferably get the gdbserver from RH 9 to work on the embedded without
having to build a new (and thus unproven) kernel for that.

Comments appreciated,

Jens.

Re: Debugger versions mess

Rebuild gdb from source would appear to be a trivial solution.
Presumably you already have a way to compile for the target.
Just build a new gdbserver for it.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.

Re: Debugger versions mess
Thanks,

That's what I would like to do, but the embedded computer is so small
that there is no compiler on it. In fact I think this is a more
general problem as my own application is likely to have the same
problem as the gdbserver with libc. I have so far just been trying the
debugger with the application compiled on the old RH.

So I guess my question is more general like: How do I get the gcc to
link with an older libc and not just the current in the lib directory?

I would have to do that for both the gdbserver intended for the
embedded and for my own application. Am I right?

Jens.

Re: Debugger versions mess
If you kept a copy of your older RH filesystem around you could
chroot into it, and do your compilations from there.  Or reinstall
a small version of it to use as a chroot environment.

While it is probably possible to link to an older version of libc
under your new system(this is a guess), it would probably require
all sorts of odd command line options or wacky gcc modifications.
Probably a royal pain if you are trying to compile stuff
with overly complicated build scripts(like automake/autoconfig).

Karl.