gdb on arm-linux which actually groks pthreads?

Greetings:

Until recently I had not needed to debug code using pthreads on arm-linux; now I discover that gdb

5.3 and gdb 6.5 both built with thread support and built against our glibc2.2.2 (sorry, can't upgrade) produce no output for threads-related commands. gdbserver 5.3 lists only 'thread 1' regardless of the number of created threads. I can't build gdbserver 6.5 against our glibc.

Our kernel is 2.4.27 (sorry, can't upgrade).

Has anyone made gdb work for threads in this environment?

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

REGARDING GDB on ARM -- not threads aware:

I gave up and got glibc-3.2.6 and now gdb-6.3 and gdb-6.5 handle threads properly; gdb-5.3 does not (it still outputs SIG32 traps instead).

I have yet to determine if the libc change breaks any binaries.

This note is for the record as this issue is not documented on the web or in Usenet archives.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Sorry, typo: should be glibc-2.3.6

Michael

Reply to
msg

It supports old binaries but breaks new builds against all libraries built against glibc-2.2.2; the worst problem is 'hidden' syms for deprecated features which can't be linked in new builds.

It is an untenable requirement to need to rebuild all of the libraries, many of which lack sources, so I now need to use a script to setup symlinks for a glibc-2.2.2 environment for compiling and a glibc-2.3.6 environment for threads-aware debugging.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg