gdbserver /gdb use on ARM/XScale help

I inherited a distribution for an IXP420 Xscale processor and tried to
use gdb without success. This is what I get on the target and on the
host (Debian). I did a search on this and it seems that :
1. I have to apply a patch
2. The cross-compile was not done properly
3. I have to upgrade my gdbserver.

Any insights?
Thanks.

<target> gdbserver :3000 /bin/<app>
Process /bin/<app> created; pid = 211
code at (nil) - (nil), data at (nil)
Remote debugging using :3000
readchar: Got EOF
Remote side has terminated connection.  GDBserver will reopen the
connection.

<host> arm-uclinux-gdb
GNU gdb 6.1
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-uclinux".
(gdb) target remote 192.168.4.1
192.168.4.1: No such file or directory.
(gdb) target remote 192.168.4.1:3000
Remote debugging using 192.168.4.1:3000
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Reply contains invalid hex digit 59
(gdb)

Re: gdbserver /gdb use on ARM/XScale help
are you talking about gdbserver from .deb packages ?
If you download GDB 6.3, you should be able to cross compile it yourself for the
arm-linux target. No other patches, but you do need gdbserver 6.3 too.
I use that for the IXP425, and gdb/gdbserver runs fine.

regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     snipped-for-privacy@snapgear.com