Dan Kegel's Crosstool question re: non-native gprof

Hi,

I have been using the crosstools to extract gprof that is crosscompiled for the powerpc-405. Since gprof is supposed to work on various formatted binaries, it is in the native_only list in the configure.in file (see this discussion:

However, I want a crosscompiled version (like the executables that have the powerpc-405 prefix) because we found that gprof on linux x86 handles ppc elf files differently than gprof on a linux ppc405. I followed the suggestions in the link above, but no such executable was generated. Then, I reran demo-ppc405.sh with the --nounpack option so that it would recompile the source files without overwriting the configure.in. That attempt did not work either. I relatively new to this process, so I'm sure there are some obvious steps I am overlooking. Nonetheless, if you could spare a few moments and provide some pointers, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Nju

Reply to
Nju Njoroge

Dan Kegel replied to me in a separate e-mail. Based on his advice, I was able to fix it. I have copied and pasted the e-mail exchange.

Read below....

Nju Dan Kegel wrote:

x86 gprof will work on ppc405 binaries. However, we noticed that it doesn't work as well as ppc405 gprof on ppc405 binaries. For some reason, x86 gprof reports that some functions were called that were never called. Fortunately, these extra functions do not influence the real results because they typically "run" for < 1% of the total runtime.

Thanks! I updated the configure file as well and this fixed it.

indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode wdiff gprof target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv target-gperf"

indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode wdiff target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv target-gperf"

indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode wdiff gprof target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv target-gperf"

indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode wdiff target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv target-gperf"

change

Reply to
Nju Njoroge