Dan Kegel's Crosstool question re: non-native gprof

I have been using the crosstools to extract gprof that is
crosscompiled for the powerpc-405. Since gprof is supposed to work on
various formatted binaries, it is  in the native_only list in the
configure.in file (see this discussion:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/sid/2002-q2/msg00039.html ). However, I
want a crosscompiled version (like the executables that have the
powerpc-405 prefix) because we found that gprof on linux x86 handles
ppc elf files differently than gprof on a linux ppc405. I followed the
suggestions in the link above, but no such executable was generated.
Then, I  reran demo-ppc405.sh with the --nounpack option so that it
would recompile the source files without overwriting the configure.in.
That attempt did not work either. I relatively new to this process, so
I'm sure there are some obvious steps I am overlooking. Nonetheless, if
you could spare a few moments and provide some pointers, I would be
grateful.

Thanks,

Nju

Re: Dan Kegel's Crosstool question re: non-native gprof
Dan Kegel replied to me in a separate e-mail. Based on his advice, I
was able to fix it. I have copied and pasted the e-mail exchange.

Read below....

Nju

x86 gprof will work on ppc405 binaries. However, we noticed that it
doesn't work as well as ppc405 gprof on ppc405 binaries. For some
reason,
x86 gprof reports that some functions were called that were never
called.
Fortunately, these extra functions do not influence the real results
because they typically "run" for  < 1% of the total runtime.

Thanks! I updated the configure file as well and this fixed it.

indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode
wdiff gprof target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv
target-gperf"
indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode
wdiff target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv
target-gperf"
indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode
wdiff gprof target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv
target-gperf"
indent m4 rcs recode sed shellutils tar textutils uudecode
wdiff target-groff guile perl time ash bash bzip2 prms gnuserv
target-gperf"
change

Site Timeline