Linux and priorities within kernel space

I have maybe stupid question. From QNX I know every each driver acts as process having threads. Each thread has schedulinng scheme and it's own priority. How it's in Linux? I mean no user space, but kernel space. It looks for me like unpredictable bunch of mess. Can I somehow manage priorities even for the drivers? I'm using Denx's distribution. Or do I have to use some extensions? It looks like a problem with porting of already existing applications running on PC down to embedded slower CPUs. Specially streaming applications.

Reply to
Martin

Of course, you will need a real time operating system. The most known based on the linux kernel are RTlinux and linux RTAI.

Mart> I have maybe stupid question. From QNX I know every each driver acts

Reply to
Arnand Gerbert

Arnand Gerbert schrieb:

Not necessarily, IMHO.

If he has no _hard_ real time requirements he can improve the _soft_ realtime behavior by defining appropriate priorities for the different parts of the system.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell