Building a User-Land

Can someone tell me where I can find documentation or a site on
building a "Userland" for an embedded system? I cant seem to find out
what this should be.

 - Adam

Re: Building a User-Land
Can someone tell me where I can find documentation or a site on
building a "Userland" for an embedded system? I cant seem to find out
what this should be.

 - Adam

Re: Building a User-Land
Sorry to take so long to answer back. Thanks for the advice on Busybox

I will check out "uClibc" for future projects.

Well anyway I am going to build my userland with the following ->
Busybox, Vim, Pcmcia-CS, and Glibc ...

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

 - Adam

Re: Building a User-Land

That depends entirely on your application.  The kernel runs /sbin/init
at boot time; whatever init does is up to you.

For many embedded Linux projects, the userland is mostly just BusyBox.
See http://www.busybox.net /

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor /
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org /

Re: Building a User-Land

I use busybox heavily, but I often find I need a few other things.

Adam, if you're using uClibc, you should check out buildroot at uclibc.org,
it's a Makefile that knows how to build a userland.

If you're using glibc, you should check out ptxdist, which is a similar
thing that can handle both uClibc and glibc.  It's at
http://www.pengutronix.de/software/ptxdist_en.html
but it's not quite polished yet, so if you want to use it,
expect to have to ask a few questions on their mailing list.
I'm pumping new packages into ptxdist as fast as I can;
we added libpcap, libnet, and nmap recently, and I see
oprofile's already there...

- Dan

Site Timeline