Building a User-Land

Can someone tell me where I can find documents or a site on how to
build a "userland" for an embedded system? I cant seem to find out
what this should entail.

- Adam

Re: Building a User-Land

For the only meaning of "user-land" I'm aware of: you don't.  The very
existence of user-land processes means the system almost certainly
doesn't deserve to be called "embedded" any longer.

Re: Building a User-Land

That's a pretty big call!  My understanding of "userland" is any
non-kernel process, so any embedded system running linux or a linux
variant will perform a majority of its work with so called "userland"
applications.

Cheers,

John

--
Dr John Williams, Research Fellow,
Reconfigurable Computing, School of ITEE

Userland is where low-priority, untrusted processes are multiplexed.
It the OS does not provide for that, then you can't "build" it.

If, however, you have a unix-like OS, take a look at BusyBox. It's
dozens of commands in one.

Re: Building a User-Land
Thank you I have researched Busybox and I think I will go in that direction.

Site Timeline