Thyratron

KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !! How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

Thanks Mike

Reply to
MGM

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:41:28 GMT, "MGM" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

a 4 pin hand grenade....coward's method

"Are you SURE?"

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Hi Mike,

Well, it would be a good idea to find out the exact specs of your Thyratron (I bet a lot of people don't know what the heck one of these things are!!).

You can try

except these are Russian made (some still made during the Soviet era), and compare average values of these Thyratrons. However, I've never seen a plastic one (it probably isn't high voltage), most of the ones I've seen are made from ceramic, but this one could be different.

I typically pay $300 USD for a specific Thyratron that is used in Copper Bromide Vapour Pulsed Wave Lasers that I work with, but a NOS one in untested condition?!?!?

Does the application still exist? oh, and not ever having seen a WW2 German grenade, I'm guessing it is a cylinder of some sort with the pins probably on one end. Is there a metal ring somewhere down the center of the unit?

Hope that sorta helps you out.

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

They don't list this part number but there are other thyatrons here:

You might try some ham radio groups too.

-- WS mostly in m.s -

Winston Smith

Just keep in mind, once the last pin is pulled. Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer your friend.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

A "solid state thyratron" is basically a silicon controlled rectifier in a thyratron-shaped package, maybe with the addition of some signal-conditioning to adapt grid drive to gate drive. Probably intended as a replacement for the mercury-vapor thyratrons WeCo used in their PBX battery chargers.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

Tons of uses - from relay controllers to spot welding. Even motor controlls :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer oldtree@pacbell.net