A solid state replacement for the lowly 2D21 Thyratron tube...(sorry for the On-Topic post!)

In my field of arcade repairs we run into older jukeboxes - one particular model which uses the 2D21 tube and was from about 1954.

I have the spec sheet here:

It would be fun to make a solid state replacement for it as nothing seems to exist. These tubes are still available from several sources, but they get wonky with age.

Being able to simply wire in a TRIAC or SCR (with appropriate bits of electronic glue) to remove this tube from the suspect list when servicing this classic Seeburg V200 jukebox would simplify future servicing. I always like to make things easier for the next tech to work on machines that passed through my shop...

I should point out that Seeburg only used these 2D21s (three 2D21s used) on their very first control center for their Tormat (200 x magnetic cores) memory and dropped it like a hot potato. There were numerous service bulletins culminating in the factory providing a low cost replacement for the control centers that used 2D21s (three of these) and the replacement used a single 2050 tube and was a very reliable design. Not everyone took advantage of the program and all these replacement were used up long, long ago.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

What happens to them as they age? is that with respect to the unused NOS types?

I was under the impression that small-signal gas thyratrons were very reliable in service. They're much less temperature sensitive in service than solid state devices, at least. If you blast a relaxation oscillator made with a 2D21 with cold spray it barely drifts.

Reply to
bitrex

I may have a few of either floating about in my junk boxes. If so, I would be glad to send all that I have to you as I have no discernable use for them. I seem to remember those numbers,

Gratis, of course. I will let you know.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

The 2D21 tubes become erratic, sometimes they respond, sometimes they are slow (the solenoid grumbles as it sluggishly engages), and sometimes they just ignore the control signal. Yet these tubes test OK on my mutual conductance tube checker (of course).

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Maybe the hydrogen is out-gassing thru the glass over time?

Reply to
bitrex

The tube tester can test for conductance from thermionic emission but IDK if it can test for the conductance when the tube is operating in the ionization-cascade mode.

Reply to
bitrex

Got a schematic? It might be easy.

A tube tester may not apply enough voltage or current capability to fire the gas, so would miss a problem with ionization.

What's the Gm of a thyratron anyhow?

One could build a simple thyratron tester.

The 1954 gear was probably designed to run on old-timey line voltage of ~110 AC. Dialing back the heater voltage on the thyratrons to compensate for higher modern AC supply voltage might extend their life.

Reply to
bitrex

Hydrogen diffusion through thin glass within tube-like operating temperatures, where the gas is in thermal equilibrium with the glass and the mean free path is >> glass thickness is dominated by e^(-1/T), so if hydrogen outgassing is causing the erratic behavior whether the tube envelope temperature is run before the "knee" or after may have a lot to do with the expected service life.

Reply to
bitrex

I may have the pac-mans backwards there don't quote me on that. :)

Reply to
bitrex

Thyratron anode conductance is grid current-controlled when in the ionization mode, you can read off the parameters from fig 2 of the 2D21 datasheet. For grid 1 voltages between about -1 and -5 volts and Ib between 25 and 200 mA it's vaguely linear at about 50mA per 1 mA.

Reply to
bitrex

A fairly recent scan (not tidied up) of my files section for the V200 Control Center:

Relevant schematic is on page 5128 (pg 16 or the PDF).

The first control center is the original TSR1-L6, later it shows the replacement control center the TSR3-L6.

You can ignore the stepper section, that is the interface to allow booth boxes (called Wall Boxes in the industry) - but it doesn't matter unless one is using those remote selectors...

Thanks for looking at this!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

This controlled a solenoid at around 24VAC or regulated (0A2 = -150VDC) power supply for the tormat write-in and readout circuits.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Designing a workaround would be easier from the standpoint of seeing exactly how it's wired in a circuit as opposed to making a general sub for that tube. Is there a schematic on-line anywhere?

Reply to
ohger1s

A thyratron is similar to an SCR, maybe a sensitive-gate type like

2N5064 could be made to work. This one is apparently Xenon-filled.

I don't have the relationships of the thyratron grids in my head though, never designed with one (I once fixed a spot welder that had an enormous lethal-looking high voltage thyratron tube (cap on the top) and a giant step-down transformer to give the kA pulse). Hardly touched vacuum tubes after HS, for that matter.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Between the forces of good and the Evil Empire they must have made bajillions of these things. Why OP not buy a gross from Russia? Just sitting in their boxes in a dry environment the shelf life might be measured in centuries.

Reply to
bitrex

Where's the fun in that? As I said, I know I can still get new tubes. The problem is the system doesn't work well...

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I had a look at the pdf and the schematic looks like a typical work of art from that era.

So you could probably get a solid state equivalent designed if you wanted to pay a designer with the necessary experience to do it. I'm not offering but I'd need the hardware in the same room as me to have any chance.

Reply to
Edward Rawde

bitrex wrote in news:X0_fI.33919$ snipped-for-privacy@fx41.iad:

110 VAC went away at the beginning of the 20th century. By 1950 120 Volts was the standard. The MONIKER remained, but the voltage has been 120 VAC for a VERY long time.

The line voltage was already 120 Volts by then. You need a remedial electrical system / electronics industry history course.

Or maybe you would simply develop enough Internet skills to know how to use google properly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno