S-Video Vs Component for Television/DVD setup

I'm getting a TV with both S-Video and Component inputs. My DVD player also has S-Video and Component outputs and I'm wondering which way I should go? I've read that it's hard to tell the difference so on what basis does one make the choice? Cable cost? The convenience of using one cable Vs three? Image quality is definitely the priority. TIA

Reply to
Swingman

Using quality cables with various sources for both input types, I can definitely tell the difference on my Sony WEGA. The best judge of what looks best to you is.. you. If you want to know once and for all which you'll appreciate more, try them both then decide. Personally, when image quality is of paramount importance, I go with component input.

Whatever hookup you choose, don't skimp on the cables, but don't be suckered in by the hype spewed by the high-end cable companies or their minions (biased reviewers) or commission-motivated salespersons. You DO need better than cables which would, by association, insult the piss-poor cheapest-crap-on-earth cables. But, a $100 (each) video cable with "triple deluxe, hand-fed, quadruple platinum shroud, holy-water-immersed inner core" is not going to perform better than a name brand $6 (each) cable with adequate shielding (which nearly any $6+ cable will have).

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Thanks for the reply. Is there ever a reason why you wouldn't go with a component interface?

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, when the display device doesn't have the connectors. ;)

As you suggested, a set of quality component cables will usually cost more than a quality S cable. So, when cost is the more important consideration, the choice is obvious. Also, as you suggested, the user may not wish to deal with 3 separate cables for whatever reason -- maybe the preferred split loom won't accomodate them?

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Thanks again for the helpful response. I'll be getting some component cables this afternoon!

Reply to
swingman

I went to Radio Shack and the salesman started out by showing me the $130 Monster component cable set - I declined . Eventually I settled on a three wire set of AV cables with gold connectors for $20. These cables are marked "red, white, yellow" instead of "red, green, blue", which suggests that they might function differently, but it doesn't seem to matter. The video quality of my DVD's is great. Perhaps the image would be even better with the Monster cables, but unfortunately I can't afford to find out.

Reply to
Swingman

The cables color coded with red, white, yellow or red, black, yellow are generally cables that are designed to carry video plus audio. In good cables the cable connected to yellow connectors is 75 ohm coaxial cable (righjt cable for video). Other cables on the bundle are designed for audio (impedance for video signals propably quite far away from 75 ohms).

At short distanced this kind of cable woudl work quite acceptably I think... For long distances and best performance good quality cable where all conductors are 75 ohm coaxial cable is the best choise.

I think the $130 Monster component cable set is highly overpriced unless it is a very long. The materials for good quality component cable are not that expensive. A professional quality 75 ohm vidoe coaxial cable costs around or less than one dollar per meter. When we are talking on component cable, we have three of those. The price of cable material itself would be 3 dollars per meter. Add here just the connectors that go to the ends and the work. And on expensive cable the brand extra cost...

Here is an older post> Hi Folks,

Practically all analogue consumer video interfaces are designed top use

75 ohm coaxial cable. This is the right cable to use in all those applications and gives guaranteed performance. If you use something else, then the results you cet can vary from good performance to poor performance depending the cable used, cable length and sometimes even on equipment used. Usually with showr wires od few meters the "normal RCA cables" do not cuase problems on normal TV signals. But when cables get longer or you have higher resolution signal (progressive video from DVD, HDTV signal, computer VGA signal), problems are more easily seen.

The cable you used most propably is designed to have two different types of cables it. RCA terminated video cable is generally 75ohms. The audio wires are general purpose shielded audio cable, that can have considerably different impedance than 75 ohms and has generally considerable higher attenuation than video coax cables (bnecause of different insulation material used). I have also seen video + audio cabls where all three wires are all the same general purpose audio cable type..

Depending on the distance from the video source to display device distance, you might or might not benefit from the better cables. If your cables have length of one meter or so, then changing cables most propably do not have any noticable effect. If your cables are 10 meters long, you most propably can see some difference.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Thanks for the detailed response. The A/V cable I'm using is only 3 feet long so perhaps that explains the good performance? Anyway, cables appear to be a dramatically overpriced accessory in retail stores. I need to have a look on EBay .

Reply to
swingman

Yes.

That its seems. Even basic "cheap" cables are dramatically overpriced accessory in retail stores. They cost easily several times more than in electronics component shops and similar. And in addition to that retail stores seem to stock those highly overprices "hifi brand" cables.