digi. cam.ext. battery

Can't get any useful specs. from above website on their 3045 camera. I want to run it from a cheap rechargable external long life battery. It uses 4x1.5 volts one-use batteries,but I don't know for sure if they are alighned to give 6 volts or not. I think they are in series so camera must use 6 v. What does anyone think it uses?. If it takes 6v,what is the best/cheapest rechargable battery to use. I prefer lead-acid cuz. I get the impression the other types don't last long on each charge. What do you recommend I use.?.

O-PRP0610 6v 10A Power-Peak SLA Battery =A39.99

Why doesn't the above battery info. state it's ampere/hours,while the other manufacturers does?. Thanks, Hartly.

Reply to
hartlyuk

The first thing you want to do is determine exactly - *exactly* - how those cells are wired. Otherwise it will be you-bet-your-digicam.

Maybe seller wants battery to sound heftier than it actually is. I assume "10A Power-Peak" means "10A, peak" ... and therefore the battery's AH rating is lower than 10.

(By the way, the term is "ampere-hour". Not "ampere/hour".)

Reply to
Michael

I probably wouldn't go with a lead acid battery. Lead acid batteries don't really like being repeatedly deep discharged or being left empty for a few days. A 10AH lead acid battery is also going to be quite big and possibly heavy. You would also need a charger suitable for 6V Lead Acid cells - perhaps one designed for charging 6V motorbike batteries.

Can you use rechargable cells in your camera (eg NiCad or NiMH) AA cells? If so then I would use something like these in the camera itself..

Sanyo 2100 mAh ni-mh

These are standard AA size cells. Note that some other cells from Overlandar look like AA but are slightly bigger physically. Check the physical dimensions!

There are lots of chargers available for the above.. eg...

CWatters

Hmm is it just me but I don't seem to find an external power plug on this camera and the manual doesn't mention an external supply. If so you'll be opening the camera anyway to put your own in. Then you'll figure out exactly how the batteries are wired. Most likely 6V. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

..and I note that it says the internal cells AAA size- so ignore my previous recommendation for AA cells.

Reply to
CWatters

Review here says "no AC adaptor" and "short battery life"....

Now that I look again the spec clearly says "NiMH cells recommended" which means it will work on 4 x 1.2V cells = 4.8V

Reply to
CWatters

Richard and others, Thanks for replying and the info. I won't open the camera as it seems to be glue sealed. I will use dead batteries with wires soldered to the inner end to touch the camera's terminals.I will have to cut a small slit in the edge of the lid of the battery compartment to let the wires out through. The manufacturer included 4x1.5v.AAA new batts. (which lasted about

20 mins.!) I'll have to use a sealed lead acid batt. of about 4Ah.in my jacket pocket or rucksack as larger are too heavy.
Reply to
hartly

Make sure they aren't in circuit - eg insulate the "unused" end.

Also watch out for leakage.

I'd be surprised if a 4AH lead acid were lighter than the nearest NiMH cell but whatever you say.

Reply to
CWatters

Rather than using dead batteries, use wooden or plastic rod of the right size - drive a screw into the end of the rod, and catch the wire under it (or solder the wire to the screw).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Richard and others, Thanks for replying and the info. I won't open the camera as it seems to be glue sealed. I will use dead batteries with wires soldered to the inner end to touch the camera's terminals.I will have to cut a small slit in the edge of the lid of the battery compartment to let the wires out through. The manufacturer included 4x1.5v.AAA new batts. (which lasted about

20 mins.!) I'll have to use a sealed lead acid batt. of about 4Ah.in my jacket pocket or rucksack as larger are too heavy.

Why bother with the external and it's wire. Just pop in a set of high-capacity rechargeables, and it'll run for hours:

Doug Warner

They won't fit as the camera takes AAA not AA cells.

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks Peter, that's a better idea,I'll do that. Hartly

Reply to
hartly