Question About A/V Receiver and DVD Player

I just bought an audio/video receiver and a DVD/VCR player here in the USA. Both are JVCs. (Receiver is model RX-5060B and DVD/VCR is HR-XVC14BU)

I was hoping that the receiver's remote control would also work with the DVD/VCR and be able to do things such as play disks/tapes, stop/pause, rewind, etc. (PS: the remote control for the receiver does have buttons for all these functions and it is able to operate my tape recorder and CD player.)

Well, the receiver's remote control either cannot control the DVD/VCR, or maybe I just don't understand how to set things up properly. As far as I can tell, the DVD/VCR is properly hooked up to the receiver but the only thing that I can control with the receiver's remote control is the volume. For all other features, I have to use the DVD/VCR remote control.

Can somebody clarify if what I have in mind is feasible? If yes, does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks.

--
tb
Reply to

Two suggestions:

First, the receiver's remote can be set to send other manufacturer's codes, and maybe it has been. See page 32 of the receiver manual and try setting it back to 01.

Also, the DVD has some weird thing where it respond as unit A, B, or C. Maybe it needs to be something other than the default C to respond to the receiver remote. This is on page 17 of the DVD manual.

Warren Block

Thank you, Warren, for your reply. It is always a pleasure seeing how somebody puts in the extra effort and goes the extra mile to help somebody else out. I will definitely try out your suggestions.

Since you seem to know JVC products, allow me to ask another question: The receiver is able to detect that I have a center speaker (the appropriate speaker indicator box lits up on the receiver's screen), however the signal indicator does not lit up (i.e. the letter "C" does not show up inside the box. There is however audio coming out of the center speaker.)

I seem to have some sort of signal problem, and I've read the instructions on p. 10 several times without being able to figure this out. Do you know what exactly the term "signal" refers to? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-- tb

Reply to
Tiziano

You're welcome. If you could edit your responses to just include specific text and intersperse your replies (as, for example, this message), it would make it easier to try to answer your questions. Thanks.

I don't, really, just saw that the manual was online and was interested.

"Signal" in this case appears to mean what the encoding of the source is providing. It reads to me that either your surround decoding or the source material is not providing center channel information. You might be able to choose a different decoding.

Warren Block